Chapter 17

Valentina stifled a gasp looking around at the others in the room. No one else seemed fazed by the display. In fact, if she wasn't mistaken the burly man with short cropped red hair called Will looked to be enjoying it.

Lara watched as the wolf pulled at its chains frantic, and sized up the hunters. It had stopped roaring, and now only growled glaring at them all. Will stepped forward repositioning his shotgun in his hands. He remained out of reach of the animal, while Lara drew the animals attention to herself.

When the wolfs eyes finally landed on them it pulled on its cuffs more but lacked the strength to break them. The injury to its midsection had healed, but now he was also poisoned. The blackened skin and veins surrounding the entry point stood out on its pale skin.

"So, here's how this goes. were going to save the effort of having to get bloody if you cooperate" Lara said. The wolf continued watching them remaining still now.

"This should be interesting." The other man with brown hair in a small ponytail said. He lounged again the wall near Valentina's eyes reading trouble.

"Justin shut it" David chided.

Lara looked cooly at the animal and used its inhuman features to remind herself that this was no human. Even if they disguised themselves as such.

"Why are you here?" she asked but the wolf only watched her quietly. Ignoring its lack of response she continued.

"Who is your alpha?" she asked folding her arms.

With no response again, she only stared at the wolf not breaking contact while Will and Justin whispered to each other behind her.

"Does it even speak English?" Will asked and Justin scoffed in response.

"Of course, it does, it's just not compliant"

Valentina watched as they talked about the werewolf-like it wasn't a person, but she didn't know what to think. It wasn't human for sure. Conflicted she debated leaving, but this was a real werewolf in front of her. This was what she wanted to know, wasn't it? Then again she didn't know if what her mom was doing was right either. She didn't know anything about this world.

The wolf looked at everyone in the room having heard them, then returned to looking at Lara curiously. When he spoke, his voice was deep causing a rumble in his chest.

"Who are you humans?" he asked.

Lara pulled the knife out of the wolfs stomach making it gasp and growl low in its throat. Repositioning the weapon she now drove the knife into its chest. The wolf cried out in pain pulling against its restraints. It barely managed to scrape Lara, but Will tightened his grip on his gun, and David took a step forward. Valentina watched wide-eyed as the knife wound in the wolfs stomach was already healing.

"This isn't a back and forth conversation, you answer my questions then we decide what to do with you after," she said annoyed.

Most wolves would usually look more concerned for their safety by now. Why was this wolf so calm?

"If you will kill me then tell me who you are," it said tone calm and even.

Lara sighed exasperated and reached for another knife flipping it in her hand. She drove the blade deep into the wolfs upper thigh. Due to its enhanced healing factor, it healed fast enough from one injury for her to apply another.

The wolf growled loudly pulling at his chains fruitlessly to free himself. Its Chains clinked noisily in protest but held him steadfast to the wall. The wolfs incisors lengthened even more in its anger, and its eyes glowed brighter.