-10- Getting worse

Welcome to ze tenth chapter!
I love pickles on hamburgers!
Fun! Have! Read!
(Please notify me of any grammar/spelling mistakes, so I can correct them ASAP)

———

Dan's POV

It has been a few days since got sick, but luckily enough, my body managed to recover enough for me to be able to go back to school again. It felt weird that I thought of it that way, but I really started to look forward to club the most nowadays. My strengthened feelings towards the literature club has made getting better feel almost like a blessing. I was unable to figure out what exactly made me enjoy it so much, though. As far as I could remember, I have been in the club for nearly a month. Only a month.

As if it were muscle memory, my body sent me a lightly pained pulse to my head after I kept thinking for a little too long. It was not anything bad either, but I could not help reaching for my head.

"You sure you're good?" Sayori asked me, looking at me with a pair of worried eyes. "If club's gonna be too much for you, you can always go home right away. Monika will definitely understand!"

"No, no. It's fine, really," I quickly lowered my hand. "It's just some lingering symptoms, but it's nothing compared to a few days ago. Honest."

"Mm," she hummed, as she tried to read my face. "Fine, then. But don't you dare push yourself," Sayori threatened.

"And what if I do?"

"I'll pout mega hard."

The answer she gave me was to be expected, yet I was not able to come up with a reply.

"I bet you'd cry from guilt."

"Definitely. I might actually start tearing up right now, just thinking about it."

"That's what I thought!"

The two of us entered the clubroom laughing at one another, and I was finally met with the cozy and pleasant vibe of the literature club. I did not get to dwell on it for too long, though, as I was also met with a well executed jab to my side. Only a light one.

It still gave me shock, and I instinctively made a weird vocal sound in response, while looking at the perpetrator. What followed, was hard, direct eye contact with Natsuki. The thing I wanted most badly at that exact moment, was to tell her off and throw some silly remark at her for abusing me without any restraint. But when I looked at her, for the first time since she left my house that day, I could not help but get drowned by my own embarrassment.

Stupid brain, don't give me flashbacks now!

It was all my brain was able to do. Reminding me how I blatantly touched her hair while I was sick. While I was basically unconscious!

I felt like an idiot.

I felt a little like a medium sized heap of garbage.

"You look ugly," Sayori commented, which snapped me back.

"Bro?" I was honestly just surprised at her bluntness.

"Not to worry, Natsuki," she continued. "He's still experiencing some symptoms of his fever. I bet that's where the ugliness comes from," my supposed-to-be childhood friend smiled at me before walking over to the other two girls, who were already chatting.

"I uh," I scratched my chin, having become a little nervous again, now that I was alone with Natsuki. "I don't know, man. D-do you know what she meant?" I awkwardly tried to start a conversation.