11. The Sale

Year of the Lilies
Torrid Season
Market
Altsas

Mavli

WHEN THE HEAT does not relent and the heavy stench in the air becomes unbearable, I feel bile rising up my throat. The churning of my stomach becomes excruciating. Can I hold on a little more?

I lean exhausted in my cage, I'm so dehydrated and my tongue is dry and my teeth are gritty. When will we arrive our destination?

As if on cue, stone towers appear at the horizon and I feel very uneasy. I suddenly wish we do not reach there so soon. From the shadow our cart casts on the ground, I can tell it's late in the afternoon.

I let my weak eyes roll until they land on the limp figure in the cage in front of me.

He's dead.

The nameless, faceless boy is dead. The flies cover his body and a healthy swarm buzz all over me. I give a lazy wave of hand to chase them away but they don't even flinch.

He's dead. I don't cry or even feel sad. I expected it. It was inevitable, the boy would have never survived the injuries to his face and leg. He was as good as dead from the beginning.

I'm relieved he's dead, he was too young to experience such. I'm only sad he suffered before he died. I wonder if he had any family, I wonder where they are. Are they back at home or in cages too? Completely oblivious to the fact that their little brother or son or grandson or nephew or cousin is dead.

The towers become nearer and nearer until I can make out the tiny windows at the very top where the soldiers will stand to secure the walls of the Kingdom.

I hear a small sigh from the cage beside me, the naked girl is staring at me, a slow smile spreads across her face. How can she smile in the face of all this? How can she manage that?

"Any time soon," she says.

"It's going to be a whole lot worse," my voice is raspy and faint. But she hears me very clearly.

She shakes her head and I'm awed by her superhuman strength to endure of this hardship. "We will be presented with an opportunity," she sighs. I wait for her to say something, anything but it becomes clear she has exhausted her words.

Opportunity? I snort. More like doom and then, death.

When we approach the towers, I see the giant gates that guards the Kingdom. I'm duly astonished on how such a man-made structure will reach the heavens.

"You see what I mean?" I twirl my head to look at the girl as she speaks. "Opportunity."

I don't see it. I don't see the elusive opportunity she is talking about. But I nod, not wanting her to be discouraged or feel bad.

A soldier walks to the cart, exchange words with the rider. Then the soldier walks to the cages and peers in.

Her eyes meet mine. Bright brown eyes. I make to swallow but my mouth and throat are parched and void of saliva.

She sweeps her eyes along the cages then marches away. My heart sinks, but why does it? Why do I feel sad and let down? Did I actually think she'd pity us and speak for our freedom just because she's female? She's a soldier, just like the men.

Our cart moves forward very slowly like the horses are trotting through the gates and into the busy city I can sight ahead.

"Altsas," the girl whispers.

How does she know the name of this Kingdom? Perhaps she's a traveller or a merchant.

"Altsas." It sounds sophisticated and rich even from my raspy, faint voice.