29. The Tryst

Year of the Roses
Floral Season
The Gardens, Palace
Altsas

Lysia

I DON'T WANT TO KNOW what Alysia is thinking as I push and elbow my way through the crowd, not minding what the guests will think of the Princess running across the dancefloor and I suck in air as I make my way into the dark gardens.

I can still hear the noise of the party as if I am still the hall. The only difference is the balmy air instead of the scorching heat and the faint scents of flowers and dew. I can hear crickets and distant hoots of owls. The moon is a glowing ball of light, it bathes everything under it - including me in it's ethereal shower.

I know he'll be here.

I'm sure he has been waiting for a pretty long time. But he is always patient.

I spot a wooden bench just a few metres away from me. I bench is damp with dew but I don't mind. I wonder how long it will take for him to spot me.

"Good evening, Princess."

I feel his warm breath fanning against my nape. I hold my breath and twist my neck so I'm facing him. His dark eyes twinkle in the pale light.

"How are you?" He asks. I can make out the curl of his sensual lips. He comes to sit beside me on the bench, his scent and heat radiates all over him.

"I'm fine now," I reply. I grab his hand and give it a light squeeze. "I'm fine because I'm here with you."

He leans in and I let my lashes flutter close. His warm soft lips claim mine, the feel of him, of the kiss is exhilarating.

When I open my eyes, he is staring at me intently like it is the first time he has seen me. My breath comes out in slow pants and I feel a new sensation in the pit of my stomach.

"Did you wait long?" I manage to ask.

"No," he says. "Waiting for you is not a chore, Princess. I didn't feel it."

I bite the inside of my lip as various hues of joy explodes inside me. My hand is still linked in his and I rub my thumb along the planes of his palm. "My brother has been betrothed," I blurt out. Then I regret it. I sound bitter and jealous.

He smiles, a soft knowing smile. "I heard about that." He raises his eyes and bores into mine,"I stood guard at the cell she was held."

I let the information sink in.

"She's quite a beauty, isn't she?" I ask him.

He snorts. "She cannot be compared to you, Princess."

Scoffing, I stand up and begin to walk away. Partly because I think he feels obliged to say that just because we are in a relationship and partly because I want to lead him away from the bench under the moonlight and deeper into the shadows of the garden.

He takes the bait and follows me. I stop underneath the figure of a tree and rest my back on it silently hoping my dress won't stain.

"Are you okay?" He asks. I can't see his face properly but I imagine it to be frowning.

I wrap my arms around his neck, making him come closer to me. I place a playful kiss on his nose, he makes a sound that is in between a snort and a chuckle and I can't help giggling.

"I'm just... Tired," I say answering his question. I kiss the corner of his lip. "But you can fix that, can't you?" I say while batting my darken lashes at him.

He presses in closer; his thigh in between my legs, his broad chest against my breasts, his hands on my waist. And he kisses me. I can't hold back the moan that escapes my lips as his tongue playfully skims over my lips. His lips press against mine in soft, short teasing kisses that have me groping and pining for more.

My chest rises and falls with quick pants when his lips pry away from mine.

I tangle my fingers in his shaggy hair. "How I've missed you, my love."

He chuckles at the endearment. "It has been only three weeks."

"You call three weeks only?" I ask feigning outrage. "I kept wishing for an opportunity to see you."

"I missed you too, Princess," he replies with a ghost of a smile.

"What do you say we go to my room?" I blurt out but don't regret it." Everyone is at the dance," I quickly add.

"You should be at the dance too," he says quietly.

"You don't mean that, do you?" I place my hands on his shoulder and push him back a bit. "Don't you know how much I long to be with you?"

He sighs. He doesn't reply but presses closer to me again and cups my face in his palms. This time, I kiss him back with so much haste and eagerness. His groans in his throat when I bite his lips and suck on it. He presses me closer to him so we are merged into one.

His hands caress the naked skin of my back where my dress gives way. His lips and mine are having a dance of their own.

I feel a new kind of warm throbbing in my feminine centre.

Slowly, he untangles himself from me. I'm highly satisfied to see he is out of breath, I'm glad I have such an effect on him.

"We should... We should stop, Princess." He takes a small step back. "If we don't, I will not be able to control myself anymore."

"Who said I want you to control yourself?" I ask. I cover the distance between us and hug myself to him. "Why would I want you to control yourself? I want all of you." I find his sweaty trembling hand and place it on on my breast.

He takes a sharp intake of breath. "Are you sure?"

"Of course I am." I run a finger down his splendid jawline. "I've waited too long for it." My voice sounds raw, not like me at all. But I like it, I like this other side of me.

"I just don't want to do anything... Drastic," he whispers. I can feel the hardness of his erection pressed against my stomach.

"Let me worry about the consequences," I reply.

He doesn't say a word, only breaths softly. His hand is still on my breast, laying limp.

"Let's go to my bedroom, please," I say.

"It's too dangerous, Princess. We'll be caught." Fear is dripping from every syllable.

"Don't worry about that. I assure you we will be safe, okay?" I kiss his lips but he doesn't kiss me back, his lips are still.

"Don't you trust me?" I'm a little bit hurt.

"I do. But if anyone finds out, your father will have my head," he says.

"He will have mine before he will have yours," I hiss.

"Princess-"

"I want you to make love to me," I say. "Don't you want to?"

I hear him swallow. "I do."

"Then why are you scared?" I ask.

"I love you but-"

"But you don't love me enough to risk anything," I finish for him. "It's fine. I'll be on my way to the dance. Good night." And with that I match angrily away from him, away from the shadows and into the pale light of the full moon.

"Princess." It's a tiny whisper that is delivered to me by the breeze. I pause.

His boots crunch as he walks to me, his hand rests on my shoulder. "Listen to me, please."

Slowly, I turn to face him. "I'm listening."

"I can't go to your room," he pauses and watches my reaction. I try to keep my features blank. "But... But I'll love to make... Love to you."

I let this sink in.

"Will you run away with me?" I ask him.

"What? " He stares at me like I've lost my mind.

"You heard me," I say calmly.           "I want you to run away with me."

"I will," he gathers me into his arms and hugs me underneath the shining moon.

He grabs my hand and leads me back into the shadows.