35. The Grapes and 36. The Stables

35. The Grapes

Year of the Roses
Floral Season
The Orchard
Altsas

Alysia

RAKAR LEADS ME TO THE ORCHARD. He doesn't even glance at me through out our walk there. He halts in front of the white bridge and a strong wave of de ja vu hits me. But I quickly recover. The orchard hasn't changed much since I left here with Rakar.

My eyes catch glimpses of changes and I gulp. Just beside the river is a table dressed with white linen and it's matching chairs. On the table is a tray of grapes, a jug and two goblets. A table for two.

A lean and tall stoic figure stands rigidly on the bridge and stares into the river. I turn on my heels and will my legs to run.

"Where do you think you are going, coquette?" Rakar has his hands on my waist and whispers into my ear.

"Get a grip of yourself!" I half-scream half-shriek at him and twirl round so I'm facing him. "And don't ever call me a coquette again!"

He stares at me deadpan, I'm panting heavily my chest rising and falling. Just when I think I've gotten the arrogant Duke sober, his face bursts into a huge fit of laughter. I feel my face grow warm then hot.

"You look even more beautiful when you are trying to be fierce." He wipes fake tears and gives me a condensing look, " you should have seen your face-"

"Rakar!" The voice is not what I expected at all. I imagined it deep, baritone and thunderous like the King's. But instead, it's warm and mellifluous.

Rakar's face falls immediately and he schools his features to be blank. I'm duly surprised at his acting skills. "I fetched her, Kyan."

Kyan's eyes rests on my face and I flinch at the colour. Not because of disgust but awe. Kyan's eyes are a very rare colour. The variant hues of sprouting blades of grass, the enchanting and gorgeous shade of emeralds. I look away and stare right at the river.

I hear Rakar's departing footfalls but instead of me to be delighted to not be around the spoilt male, I have this urge to run after him. I don't know why but I'd pick Rakar over Kyan.

"Alysia." It's the soft whisper of the breeze. I dare to glance at him but he is walking away from me and making his way to the table.

I know I'm to follow him, and sit opposite him talking over grapes and the unknown liquid in the jug but my feet doesn't move. It is planted firmly to the ground. Kyan takes a seat and gives me a pointed look with his brows slightly raised.

Bracing myself, I suck in a breath and take a bold step forward. And I fall plummeting to the grassy ground. Groaning, I push myself faster than lighting onto my feet. The only embarrassment bigger than falling flat on my face in front of Prince Kyan is allowing him to help me to my feet and I will not allow that.

I stand straight, dusting my trousers avoiding his emerald eyes. I feel shame in form of creeping hot blood travel to my face. My face and arms sting, I can't wait to see the new wounds I've gotten  I think sarcastically.

"Are... You all right?" I hear him ask. He shuffles closer so he is right in front of me.

"Y-Yes," I squeak. Daringly I raise my gaze to his face. The corner of his lips raise slowly in an amused smirk and then it falls all of a sudden and a frown dominates his face.

"You are injured." His brows meet with a furrow and he touches the skin just below my temple. My skin tingles and my heart skips a beat, I take a quick step backwards and his frown deepens. His eyes are etched with worry.

I can feel the sting of the bruises on my face and arms. I bite my lips to prevent a wince or worse, an outburst of tears. Ignoring the concern engraved on his face, I walk pass him with my head high to the table.