twenty two

Chapter Twenty Two
Thursday Afternoon

Jennifer's P.O.V

I walked up to the white painted archway in the backyard, countless memories starting to flood into my mind. Peter and I spent so much time here throughout the course of our relationship, and if I wasn't mistaken, he purposely inquired for us to meet in this exact spot.

What if he's trying to get back together with me, and intentionally wanted to make me think about all of our memorable moments? I told him that I was going to get back to him when I wanted to resume what we had going, so I don't think he'd be trying to do that.

If not, then why was I here?

When I rounded the bushes, I noticed Peter sitting patiently on the dark green garden bench. He had his arm propped on the back of the chair and he looked really determined. But as he caught sight of me, his expression softened considerably.

"Hey!" He greeted, this being the first time that the two of us have spoken face to face since we called it quits. I smiled back at him and met him halfway for the hug he had been holding his arms out for.

Afterwards, I joined him on the bench, and placed my book bag on the ground beside it. "I can't say that I'm surprised that you reached out to me, but I am curious." I inform.

Suddenly I noticed that a single tear quickly fell from one of his eyes, it catching me off guard. Peter quickly wiped it away though, so I barely even saw it. "Why-Why aren't you surprised? Are you saying that I can't live without you or something?" He jokingly asked, chuckling softly throughout his reply.

"Exactly!" I play along, and decided to bring up what he just tried to hide. "But let's not speed-boat over this, why are you crying?"

It took Peter a few moments to respond back to me, and I honestly got a bit nervous because he almost never cries in front of me without a gut-wrenching reason.

"The break-up." He gushed, and tears began to silently flow once more. I hushed him and pulled him into a hug. Where Peter weeped into my neck. I rubbed his back, uncertain of what to do at this moment.

Peter Smith is aware of the fact that I almost never know what to do when someone's going through intense emotions. I'm glad that when Lily died, Collin didn't really turn to me for emotional support, since I wouldn't know what the fuck to do.

Putting that aside, I guess it would be considerate of me to comfort him during his time of need because clearly he wasn't going to stop.

"What about the break-up? I thought that you and I were cool?" I remind, and when I said that, he backed away from my embrace and wiped his face on his shirt.

"I know ...." Peter sniffled, while looking down at his tear-stained t-shirt. "But I keep getting this feeling that you don't fuck with me anymore, and I can't shake it."

Okay, color me the fuck confused because I honestly don't know how I gave Peter that perception. I haven't been nasty or avoid-ant, only because we ended things mutually. "If I didn't fuck with you anymore would I have fucked you after we broke up?" I inquired.

"I guess not." Peter muttered, still un-pleased.

"Listen, we're still friends, Peter. There isn't any animosity on my side."

The boy licked his lips and looked back up at me, preparing himself for what he was about to say next. "Are you ... like, still involved with Collin Myers?"

I furrowed my eyebrows confusingly, wondering what Collin had to do with this conversation. "I mean, things have been shit-y since for a bit, but I think we're working past that." I inform, noticing how he then nodded. "Why do you ask?"