Chapter 9 I, Cassandra Evans, will never...

Chapter 9: I, Cassandra Evans, will never...

I glared at Lucas with pursed lips. First, bullying, and now he had to blurt out my surname. Things weren't looking good for him.

"You're from the Evans family?" Joseph Crowell asked still in surprise. I looked at Lucas, who didn't dare meet my eyes. Then, I turned my gaze back to his grandfather and nodded.

"Cassandra Evans," I replied.

"Well, this is a first. Is your whole family here?" he asked, looking past me.

I shook my head and answered, "Nope. Just Cate and I. But we're just about to leave."

Right after I find my sister.

"Oh no, no. The party just started! You guys can't leave already. I must catch up with the Evans'. The last time I talked to someone from your family was about thirty years ago!" The old man seemed a little too excited. Not the reaction I would expect.

"Mr. Crowell, I'm really sorry, but I have to leave, though I'm sure my sister won't mind chatting," I replied as politely as I possibly could.

"Sandy--" Lucas tried.

"I'll see you later," I told him with a nod. He was definitely going to see me later. He still had to pay for blackmailing me. Him and Julian. Lucas gazed at me suspiciously, which I responded with a small smile.

Old Mr. Crowell looked between us and raised an eyebrow.

Crowells were something.

I frowned and walked away shaking my head.

"Ev--Sandy! Wait!" Lucas called behind me. I walked faster. Jogging every morning for thirty minutes for the past four years really paid off.

Some people gawked at me, and then past me at Lucas who wouldn't stop calling my name.

I avoided eye contact and kept my head down.

Bad idea.

I bumped into someone . . . again and almost cried seeing one of the triplets.

Macey Crowell.

Damn.

Her mouth had formed an 'O' for some reason. She looked down at her dress where sauce stains formed on her stomach.

The plate in her hand holding fried fish fell to the floor, making a loud clink noise.

I backed up a bit as I saw her turn her eyes on me. I wasn't intimidated by her or anything. It was simply the fact that she smelled like the fish she had spilled on her torso.

But with my luck, I stepped back into Lucas. My back touched his chest, and he wrapped his arms around me. His face pressed against the side of mine and he whispered in a low voice, "You don't need an excuse to be in my arms."

Instantly, I elbowed him hard and broke out of the grip, still stuck between Lucas and Macey. While Macey smelled like fried fish, Lucas reeked of Axe perfume.

Realization dawned on Macey's face when she took a good look on my face.

"What are you doing here?" she asked, narrowing her eyes at me.

"Trust me, I asked myself that question at least eleven times today," I replied shaking my head slightly.

"What happened to you?" Lucas asked.

He took a step forward and looked over my shoulder at his sister.

I rolled my eyes and stepped to the side. I was hoping he would use his brain and just step around but guess not. He still had his crimson tie in his hand. He put it around his neck and just did a simple knot.