Twilight Oratorio

Octavia squinted against the blast of wind that slammed into her as she stepped out of the Cathedral. The sun was on its way out leaving the island tinged a depressing grey blue that matched its silent atmosphere.

"I apologise for keeping you so late," Sicero said, stepping into the cold with her.

"The food was well worth it." She brushed away a braid that whipped in front of her face and started towards the waiting carriage. She'd visited Claud for her last fitting and Sicero had stopped her on her way out to invite her to stay from supper. And of course she couldn't turn down Marin's cooking.

"Marin is quite the treasure. I'm glad I found her before the Hall did. By the way, Tallis told me he'll be playing at the winter ball with Lyra and Arietta. They're over the moon. I believe they're at Arietta's practicing right now."

"That's good to hear." They'd need all the practice they could get with the ball being only days away. She'd need to dedicate all classes from now until then to helping them perfect the song, especially Arietta. Perhaps she could go to the child's home after class tomorrow for a one-on-one lesson.

They stopped at the carriage and Sicero held the door open for her. "Octavia, would you like to do something together some time? Just us?" he asked before she could climb in.

Her eyebrows shot up. "Like a date?"

"I suppose." His eyes were everywhere except on her. "One might call it that."

Her mind screamed at her to say no, to cut off whatever budding feelings were growing between them before they blossomed. Before it was too late. Or was it too late already? Had she fallen prey to his sweet smile and sincere eyes?

She could feel the crack of her old mentor's cane on the back of her hand, see the scorn in the woman's piercing stormy eyes. "A priest? Have you no self respect, Octavia?" she would ask, her voice but a whisper. Morrigan never raised her voice, not even in anger.

"You don't have to answer right away," Sicero continued. "I don't think we'll be able to do anything before the ball."

How heartbroken would he be? Would his smiles fade away and his eyes grow cold? As Octavia pondered it, she realized that she didn't want to lose whatever was budding between them. Whether it was a friendship, or something more. Which was both irresponsible and selfish, given the fact that he hated necromancers. 

But she could also use this as an excuse to dig a little deeper, find out more about the inner workings of both the council and the priesthood. "I'd love to."

Sicero finally looked at her, eyes dancing with mirth. "Truly?"

"Truly. It would be fun." She climbed into the carriage, setting her bag on the floor. "I look forward to it."

He gave her a smile that could light up moonless midnight. "All right, well, I won't keep you any longer. Take care, Octavia."

"You too." When he closed the door, the carriage rolled off, and Octavia slumped in her seat. Fate would make her suffer for leading him on like this. But sometimes more nefarious tactics were needed to achieve the greater good. Or that's the excuse she was using until she thought of a better one.

Octavia put it to the back of her mind, focusing instead on the things she needed to get done when she got home. Papers to grade, chores to do around the house, sorting out the remainder of her outfit for the winter ball, lessons to—

A primal roar tore through the village, the sound slamming into Octavia's ears like a sledgehammer. It sent a sharp, stabbing pain down her spine, forcing her to bite her lip to not cry out. Beyond the carriage window, several priests sprinted over the bridge, their labored breaths fogging the air.