Medley of Lyres

Octavia walked far ahead of the group on their hike back to the village, tiny sapling still in hand. Death can bring forth life and beauty. She turned the bone around in her hands. Who or what did it belong to before necromancy gave it new life and purpose? And why did Kaleri give her this information? Making pretty little gardens from forgotten bones wouldn't rid this world of the scourge.

She ground her teeth together and curled her fingers around the bone. Despite her confusion, the sapling sent a warm ripple through her chest. After spending so much time in frozen desolation, the sight of something flourishing and full of life was like the sun on her face after a cold day.

"I don't trust that thing," Zhen said. "Casual observer my foot. What's there to observe? The destruction of humanity?"

Claud scoffed. "I'd rather it be an observer than and aid. You didn't see when Octavia fought that thing."

"I don't believe the ancients mean is harm," Quintus said. "Their principles align with creation, not destruction. Or so the legends say. But if what Keleri said is true, then this isn't the first time the netherborne have ravaged this world."

Octavia brushed a finger over a leaf. Your burden is heavy, Night-Blooming Rose, but your shoulders are strong. Was their truth to that too? She wasn't strong enough to stop the scourge from entering this world. What made her believe she was strong enough to stop it from destroying humanity?

She bit the inside her cheek and dashed the negative thought from her mind before it could fester. Focus on the now. Find the anchor, end the scourge and help return Hedalda to the thriving island it once was.

When they arrived at the village, the sun hung high and a patch of grey clouds lingered in the north, breathing chilling winds over the island. More villagers milled about the Cathedral grounds, filling the air with the hum of conversation.

Beatrix sat at the fire pit, speaking with Sicero, who paced back and forth in front of her. Havers had moved from the pit to a tree, where he and another villager spoke while gesturing at the horse and patting his flank.

The High Priest stopped mid pace when he spotted her, hazel eyes crinkling as he smiled. "Octavia, thank goodness. Are you hurt?" He reached out for her but she sidestepped his hand, earning raised eyebrows from a few nosy onlookers.

The familiar quiver still settled in her gut, despite the distance she put between them. "I'm alright. It was that flying netherborne from the last attack. It only wanted to talk. And it gave me this." She held up the little plant like a trophy.

He tucked his hand into his pocket, his eyes darkening as he nodded towards the plant. "I see. It was a netherborne? Using necromancy?"

"We can talk and speculate more extensively another time. For now, I want to focus on the search effort. Sicero, I'll need to borrow some of your priests." She paced back and forth in the snow, with eyes on the sapling as though it had the answers she needed. "If it's possible, I'd like everyone to gather in the common room within the hour to discuss logistics."

He nodded. "Zhen. You an Ezra get your teams together, please."

"Understood," Zhen said and disappeared through the Cathedral's entrance.

"I want to search the perimeter of the island today and focus on the village tomorrow. We'll start at the docks, work our way to the ruins then head to the eastern shore and skirt the southern side." By hook or by crook she would find this nightwalker. And end it.

"I'll join the search as well," Beatrix said, rising from the stone bench. She locked gazes with Quintus and frowned. "You're Octavia's friend, yes? The one who brought the books."