2

"So what now?" I ask when Lexi and I finally get some time alone

"So what now?" I ask when Lexi and I finally get some time alone. Everyone went back to their respective rooms and we came back to our apartment to spend some of her free time with me. She sighs, placing her sports duffel on the ground by the front door, walking over and face-planting onto the couch unceremoniously. "Good talk," I say to myself and she tilts her head enough for me to see her face before smiling cheekily.

"I don't know, a movie?" She says and I look at her with no amusement.

"Not what I meant," I sing, flopping down next to her, and she groans.

"It's almost a year from now and I'm already exhausted thinking about it."

"I still can't believe you waited so long to tell anyone," I exclaim and she shrugs, sitting up to face me and we both sit cross-legged on the couch.

"Well, I did have Sky." She says and I pout.

"Replacing me already," I say with a hand draped over my eyes dramatically, "With another ginger, no less."

"Definitely not replacing you. I may or may not have to move in with her though. Temporarily." She says quickly and continues. "Sky and I only really talk about volleyball anyway. She's very closed off and quite shy, but I think she really needs a friend. Or two," She says that last part like she's trying to guilt-trip me. It works.

"What's her deal?" I ask nicely, curious about who Lexi spends all her time with now. I'm not jealous though, Lexi and I have been inseparable friends since we were too young to remember. If I'm not secure in our friendship at this point, I don't know what I can feel secure in.

She sighs sadly. "I'm not sure exactly. Like I said, she doesn't talk much. But every time I'm at her house, if her parents are there she doesn't really want to be around them. They seem cold, detached..." She trails off and I find myself feeling sorry for the girl.

"Sounds familiar," I say with a sideways smile, leaning in to wrap my arms around her slim, toned shoulders. Lexi's parents have all but disowned her and her siblings when she finally stood up for herself after their unwarranted verbal abuse and neglect for all nineteen years of her life. I will always believe that they treated her so awfully because her ambitions had always outmatched their own for her, and she was born with a hard work ethic and determination that can't be taught by people like those.

"It's sad. But she has her brother. They're so close. He's going to the Olympics too actually." She says and my eyebrows shoot up.

"Talk about good genes," I say, impressed. Lexi's eyes widen and she shakes her head.

"You have no idea. Sky is so beautiful it's insane. And Atlas, her brother, is so hot. If I wasn't in love I'd be all over that." She tells me and immediately upon the words leaving her mouth she gets a wicked look in her eyes. I tilt my head to the side and purse my lips.

"Nope." I cut her off before she can speak.

"I didn't even say it yet! You would have the cutest ginger babies ever!" I roll my eyes.

"Do you have any pictures of them?" I ask and she scrunches up her face in thought.

"Sky doesn't have any kind of social media but Atlas might. If not I'll look at the University's website. He's a swimmer," She smirks and I let it go, not at all interested in her matchmaking plans. "Oh, here they are together. This might have been a few years ago though," She says and turns her phone to face me. Sky looks to be younger than we are now. Her freckles make her seem younger, but her high cheekbones, strong facial structure and big pouty lips give her a mature look. She's definitely gorgeous, and her hair color matches her brother's to the shade. Atlas has the same bone structure, but with a strong chin and some facial hair. He has a mischievous look in his eyes, with one eyebrow looking like it's permanently raised above the other. I nod my head.

"There's no denying that they are gorgeous siblings. I don't know if I want to go after anyone though. Look how tall they are too." I complain. The picture has a few people standing near them, and it's obvious that the two of them would tower over an average-sized person. I am a severely average-sized person on a good day.

"Yeah," She grimaces. "They're really fucking tall. And that's coming from me. Sky is over six feet tall," She laughs as my eyes pop out of my head. Lexi is no shorty either at five-foot-ten. I'm just a little leprechaun at five-foot-three. I look like one too with my fair skin, freckles, and curly red mane. All I need are the buckled shoes, green get-up, and pot of gold.

"Yeah, I'll pass on the friendly red giant," I say, grabbing the remote from the coffee table and scrolling through movie options.

"What about Reece?" Lexi asks with a hint of curiosity in her voice.

"What about Reece?" I ask back, willing my voice to sound neutral. If I didn't know any better, I'd think she was trying to set me up with...

"Reece is even taller than Atlas and you don't mind his company." She says knowingly but I shut her down immediately.

"Yeah, but I'm not trying to fuck Reece. The height thing is too much for me to look past. I don't want my guy to feel like he's holding an infant if he picks me up," I say bluntly and Lexi chokes out a laugh.

"Oh my god, I'm sure that is far from what he would think of you as Faye. Jeez," She says and I shrug, ending the conversation right there as I choose a movie and press play, silencing the two of us effectively. My mind wanders to Reece's massive hands holding my thighs around his waist as he carried me earlier but I push that thought away as quickly as it appears.

Reece is my best friend. My very tall best friend. My very tall, very attractive, and kind best friend. Fuck.

 Fuck