15

"Who would win in a fight? Iron Man, or Spider-Man?" Faye asks with her mouth full of pancakes

"Who would win in a fight? Iron Man, or Spider-Man?" Faye asks with her mouth full of pancakes. She woke up early this morning to make breakfast for me, as her way of apologizing. It wasn't really necessary, but I can't complain. Well I can, considering that the pancakes are horribly bitter, but the effort itself is sweet. Spitting them out and back onto her plate, Faye grimaces and looks at me apologetically and I laugh.

Yes, I was hurt by what she said yesterday but I know that her anger was only directed at me, and not meant for me; although I still don't know the actual cause, and honestly, I'm afraid to ask.

"Well, first of all, they would never fight. Tony is basically Peter's dad. You do mean Tom Holland's Spider-Man right?" I ask, shoveling more food onto my fork and biting into it, ignoring her attempt to stop me. She nods, taking a sip of her water before continuing.

"For the sake of the argument, let's say they did get into a fight. Iron Man vs. Iron Spider."

I laugh and shake my head. "Iron Man. He has way more experience, and he has repulsors which can blast through the webs―can I just eat now?" I ask humorously, barely entertaining Faye's latest argument. She makes a funny face at me before dropping the subject and drinking her water with a disgusted expression, eyes darting between my face and the almost inedible pancakes.

My phone rings just as I'm about to take my last bite and I look at the screen before answering. "Hey," I say to Chase just as Faye takes my plate away for me.

"Reece, good news," Chase's accented voice sounds in my ear excitedly which perks me up. I could use some good news.

"Are you gonna make me guess what it is?" I laugh, curious.

"No. So I just got the summer banquet invite list, you're on it, obviously," He trails off, but I sense that he's not finished. "But you're also nominated for 'Best Goalkeeper in the Western Conference', going up against Wes and Parker." He finishes and I blow out a breath. Faye watches me and my expression with curiosity and I cross my eyes at her which makes her laugh. I'm momentarily sidetracked as I watch her plump lips stretch into a toothy grin. She's not wearing lipstick, so they're pink instead of red and they look so soft.

Then it sinks in. I'm nominated for a huge award. Up against two well-known players who happen to be my biggest competition; Wes Tremblay and Parker Winstead. Chase continues speaking but I completely zone out and say a quick "thanks" before hanging up. I stare at my phone in disbelief as if at any moment Chase is going to call back and tell me that it's a prank. Winning an award like this is no joke, as it looks amazing to pro scouts and comes with a big cheque. I hadn't even considered a pro career because it never seemed like a viable option.

Before now, that is.

"Well? What was that?" Faye questions me and I tell her. When I finish explaining the award and then the benefits, her eyes are wide and she's bouncing giddily around me. I laugh nervously at her reaction, as the pressure of this nomination begins to invade my mind and I begin to overthink. What happens if I win? What happens if I don't? What if I panic?