05 | drinks and drunks

The garden of the Genovese mansion was decorated for the party

The garden of the Genovese mansion was decorated for the party. The pavilion and the garden had been adorned with red ribbons that sparkled with the rubies attached to it. Even the poolside had red balloons scattered around. And just like every party she had thrown, Caly had ordered several ruby gems as a giveaway gift.

She had asked her father for all the excess star rubies they have and fashioned them into small earrings. Starix Jewels had been doing well and Callista had promised her father she would bring a large project in return.

Anyway, these gems made Caly's parties trending. Being invited was a massive privilege.

"Mal!" Callista rushed to her friend, crushing her in a tight hug. "I'm so glad you came!"

Mallorie let out a wry smile. "Yeah well, this is what happens when your friend contacted you after three years so you really have no choice but to come."

Caly puckered her red lips, holding both of her hands on hers. "Forgive me?"

"Can I say no?" She rolled her eyes, a smile beginning to form in her thin mouth.

"Want to say hi to your mother?"

"We live in the same house, Caly." Caly nodded. The decided to pass it and went to sit on the mini bar on the living room.

Callista shrugged, getting a bowl of cherries. She slid it between them. "How are you?"

"As if you don't know already." Mallorie raised an eyebrow. Her brown hair bounced as she got up and took her place on the bar. She opened the cabinet and the mini fridge. Her hands worked fast. "Stop the innocent look, Callista. You don't throw a party without malice."

A devious smirk materialized on her face. "Oh?"

Mal resumed mixing and then she was shaking a tumbler. She poured the drink. "When we were in high school, you threw a party at the same day as that of Janice's birthday party."

"I didn't do that." Caly accepted the cocktail glass from her friend, tasting the vivid flavor of vodka.

"Uh huh. You do know everybody went to your party and Janice had red eyes the next day." Mallorie skirted around the counter and sat beside her. She swirled her glass, flashing Callista another dubious look. "And the poor girl suffered all because she slept with Castor Luciano."

Caly's throat rumbled in a chuckle. "You're delusional if you think I care about his sex life. I hated that girl because she bragged about her 'biggest party ever' and the words 'better than a Genovese party'."

"If you say so," Mal said, shrugging her shoulders in indifference.

Callista had known Mallorie Jones since forever. Her mother had brought the girl to the Genovese mansion every time she worked as one of their chefs. Callista had found her playing on the garden and they hit it off instantly. As a kid, they didn't really care if their status was heavens apart.