24 | sweet and sweeter

Callista had invited Franco to her house

Callista had invited Franco to her house. She didn't want to try another one of his date ideas again. This time she might actually pop a vein and die from too much anger. She went to the kitchen, seeing the staff bustling for dinner preparation. Caly sat on the kitchen counter, plucking a grape from the fruit platter.

Her phone beeped. Callista grabbed it, thinking it was Franco.

It wasn't.

I'm coming for your head, killer queen!

Caly gritted her teeth and deleted the text. She ate more grapes.

"Hija! Why are you here?" Amanda Jones exclaimed, placing a plate of pesto pasta on the metal surface.

"We can have dinner here, Auntie." She shrugged, shying away from the older woman's curious eyes. Mallorie's mother was more than their cook but Caly wasn't in the mood to share her problems. "Franco will be fine with it."

"Oh my! I didn't know you need to  choose a dress, Miss Caly!" Eula cried from the doorway with folded bedsheets on her arms.

She smiled at her maid. "It's fine, Eula." Callista stood up, her white off-shoulder dress flowed in as she twirled. "I chose well, right?"

"You look good in anything, Miss Caly!" Eula replied with a beam. "But I honestly expected to see you in jeans. I thought Mr. Castellano was a close friend. Like Mr. Luciano."

Thomas grunted in displeasure as he entered the kitchen. He went straight to the coffee machine. "Are you impressing that blond, Miss Caly? I don't like that boy."

Callista returned to her seat, smirking at their differing opinions. "And who do you like Thomas?"

"Castor, of course!" he answered, gesturing to Eula with a cup of steaming coffee on his hand. "He never broke my trust once!"

"But Mr. Castellano gave back Miss Caly in one piece! Not even a scratch!" Eula insisted, her petite form burning in defiance. "And he's very handsome!"

"And Cas isn't?" Thomas shot back. His grayish hair didn't stop him from debating with the young maid that Caly had to laugh.

"Stop it, you two. You have work to do!" Amanda interjected as she set a platter of garlic bread.

Callista put a hand under her chin, tilting her head at the older woman. "How about you, Auntie? Who do you like?"

Amanda bent to tuck a stray hair behind her head. "I'll go with whoever makes you happy, amor."