10 | schemes and schemers

Blue and red neon lights filled the casino

Blue and red neon lights filled the casino. The noises from the slot machines, the repeated clicks of coins, and the booming music completed the scene. Callista Genovese navigated her way through bodies of people, betting on different table games.

She was about to step inside the poker area when someone seized her wrist. The yank caused Callista to knock against the sturdy body behind her. A mixture of smoke and mint hit her nostrils. She instantly knew who it was.

"Castor," she muttered against his neck. Her McQueen red heels made it possible to reach his ear. She whispered softly, tongue flicking out, articulating each word. "What a lovely surprise."

Castor grinned, slanting his head to murmur on her ear. "I'm glad to see you too, your majesty."

"What are you doing here?" she hissed, focusing on his face. Callista almost swore after taking in their closeness. She could see every twitch of his jaw and the sparkle from his hoop earring.

Castor slid his right hand on her hip, tugging her closer to his body. Caly gritted her teeth after feeling the warmth from his fingers. The red chiffon dress she wore wasn't enough barrier for Castor and his fondness for touching her. Caly gazed at him but he wasn't even looking at her. "Cas, I asked you a question."

"Yeah?" he muttered, emerald eyes engrossed in something behind her.

Callista hated to be ignored. She yanked at his white sleeve. "Cas!"

"I'm sorry." He finally looked at her. "And about your question, do you really think I'll let you enter this place alone?"

Her tongue darted out, wetting her red lips and Castor didn't miss that. He lifted his hand, rough fingers caressing her tender cheeks. "Stop being so damn seductive, Callista."

"What? I was just licking my lips. You're so—"

Castor's eyes turned murkier. He dropped his forehead to hers. "This is exactly why I can't trust you going here alone."

"I'm not alone. Vince is going to be with me," she answered.

"No," he snapped. "Vince can't stop all these fools from looking at you. These fuckers should know that you're only for—"

Somebody bumped into Castor, drowning his words, causing him to hit her much smaller form. Caly barely had time to put her hand for support with the sudden weight imposed on her. She cried out, elbows sliding on the floor.

Castor had braced one arm on the side of her head, terminating his fall. He huffed, wide-eyed as he took in Callista's form. His eyes sharpened. The green of his irises completely evaporated as he shot up straight.

"Who the fuck did that?" She heard him yell.

Callista sighed, shaking off the pain in her elbow and stood up. Castor was already fighting, throwing chairs at the culprit. He grabbed the guy's collar and landed a punch on his face. Blood spurted from the victim's nose, spraying his white shirt.