20 | three and threes

Callista Genovese put on her hoop earrings

Callista Genovese put on her hoop earrings. Her ponytail swished as she jogged down the stairs in her Nikes. She adjusted her Hermes mini bag and headed straight to the door when Caesar Genovese called for her.

"Where are you going?" he asked. His gaze narrowed at her outfit. "Is there another party?"

"No." Caly crossed her arms. She didn't like her father's patronizing tone. "I'm going to hang out with Mal. If there's nothing—"

"Caly, we need to talk." The older man inhaled deeply, hiding his hands in the pocket of his iron pressed trousers. His stony glower caused Callista to stand straight. "There's the second phase of my plan. You see... marriage is still the answer."

Caly's arms went limp to her sides. She opened her mouth but no words came out. Callista gritted her teeth and turned back. "I'm not interested."

"Callista, sit down!" His gruff voice thundered in the empty foyer.

Caly whirled to him rapidly that she almost stumbled. "No! Not again, Dad! Don't you dare use me!"

"Franco and Castor," he started. "I know you like them."

The girl's fingers quivered in despair. Her throat tightened as she kept her emotions at bay. "Dad, are you fucking serious?"

"My term is ending after two months."

Her heart clenched at his revelation. "What? But—"

"Mayor Johnson raised his concerns and proposed a new system. He told them if I couldn't take care of my own daughter, how can I watch over New York?"

"So, it's my fault!"

"Nobody is saying that." Caesar massaged his temples, lips curling into a rueful smile. "I knew it was going to end this way. When I gave up my men to become a governor, I knew."

"Then, why did you?" Callista's voice was softer this time. Seeing the tired lines on her father's face reminded her of her sin. Fatigue wrapped his body as a hand flattened his hair.

"What do you think?" Her father dared to smirk. Caly often forgot that her father was and would always be a mafia material. "I was cocky. I thought everyone would be satisfied with what they have. But no, they all desired to be on top. And yet, I don't want to admit defeat." He looked at her with a glint of challenge. "This is my last chance, Callista."

Caly scoffed, wetting her lips. "Oh? So you want to prove that your ideas are right?"

"Caly." His warning tone made the girl cackle in mock laughter.