47 | ally and allies

The red apple tasted so sweet that Callista grabbed another one

The red apple tasted so sweet that Callista grabbed another one. She was sitting in front of a sofa that faced a body length mirror. She crossed her legs, causing the red satin evening dress to show her skin.

It was at that moment that Franco burst through the door.

"Seriously? You're eating a—" he peered at her spot and groaned. "An apple?"

"Yeah," Caly answered. "Your mother sent me a basket."

Franco shot the basket of red apples with a disgusted look. "Really? What if that was poisoned?"

She giggled and took another bite. "Then, you go and get my prince charming."

"Caly! Does nothing faze you?" he yelled. "Tonight is our engagement party! And tomorrow we're gonna get married!"

"And?"

"Is this part of our plan? Did Castor agree?"

"Yeah. But it took a round of sex—"

"Stop! Damn it!" Franco sat down on the sofa. "Shouldn't we stop since Father already made me the boss?"

"You think you're a boss?" Callista laughed and threw the apple core into the trash can. She stood up and opened her Prada pouch, getting her lipstick. "Franco, your father readily gave his title because he knows that he could get it back. That's why the wedding is tomorrow. He's not giving you time to be a great boss. So that when you die, nobody would care.

"He's that confident?"

"If you do nothing, yes." Caly stood before the tall mirror and reapplied her lipstick. She smacked her lips and turned to him. "There are two kinds of people out there. The people who are impressed that you won against Castor and the people who are loyal to your father. Take care of the first one."

"What? How will I do that?"

She frowned. "Didn't Castor tell you?"

Franco blinked a few times before his blue eyes lit up with recognition. "He told me not to piss my pants and not to upset you."

"That idiot!" Caly sighed at Castor's stupidity. She sat next to him. "You need them to acknowledge you. That's the only way we could threaten your father. The only way he will make a move. The only way we can catch him in the act and make him pay."

"And what if he won't?"

"He will. Trust me."

Franco took a deep breath as he leaned forward. A calm mask settled on his face. "How do I do this then?"