Ch. 24

"Wow. See, you did it." I said referring to Laine's math assignment.

"Can you sound any less enthused?"

"What? You want me to throw you a party or something?" I said sarcastically.

"Yes, actually. That was very hard. I deserve a reward."

I rolled my eyes. "You're so annoying."

"You're annoying." I heard her mumble.

I raised my brow. "You want to say that louder?"

"You're annoying!" She said much louder.

There was yet again another hush throughout the library.

"You're such a child." I said slightly amused by her embarrassed face.

It wasn't until school was over, when Cassy's dad finally had some answers for us about Laine's blood. Everyone gathered around his office patiently awaiting the news.

"Well." He sighed. "It turns out, that through the use of dark magic, Laine's blood can act as sort of a heart shield."

Everyone grew confused at this point.

"Of course the use of dark magic is prohibited on any world, so there will be major consequences. Laine's blood isn't rare on earth, but there is a hidden element in it that humans can't see. Such element that hasn't been seen for several thousands of years." He continued. "As I was saying before, if a vampire or werewolf were to drink Laine's blood, a certain spell could be cast in order so make a shield around the heart. Therefor, making said vampire or werewolf seemingly impossible to kill and making them stronger as well."

We all took a moment for the information to sink in.

"So, what are we going to do now?" Cassy asked.

"Well, you all will continue to protect her. Now that we know what they're after, we have to find out where they all meet up and arrest them."

I nodded. "This would be the perfect opportunity for Noah to show his worth."

"Who?" Cassy's Dad And Scarlett asked.

"He's a part of the group, but apparently he says he is Laine's mate and doesn't want to hurt her."

"Wait, what?!" Laine said in surprise.

"There's nothing to prove it though, none of us can sense that you are claimed by somebody." I said.

"Yes, that can be a tricky thing." Cassy's dad mentioned.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Laine questioned.

I shrugged and returned to the conversation at hand. "I'll talk to him tomorrow to see if he knows anything."

Cassy's dad nodded. "Alright. Once we know a location we'll go from there."

The girls and I headed back to Laine's house, for presumably the last night.

"So, did everyone know I have a potential.... I don't even want to say it, it sounds so weird." Laine asked.

"I didn't." Scarlett defended.

"Kat told me not to tell you." Cassy was quick to blame.

"Woah, what? I just said I wasn't going to tell her. I didn't say you couldn't either." Can you believe her?

"And why didn't you tell me?" Laine questioned me.

"Why would I? You've already got a lot on your mind, plus he could be lying anyway. Why do you even care so much?"

"Well... I don't know. Isn't it like a soulmate thing? To think I'm bound to someone I don't even know it weird."

I rolled my eyes. "You're not, calm down."

"So, what shall we do now gang?" Scarlett asked.

"Can you not?" I glared.

"What? Why do you have more sticks up your butt than usual?"

Before I got a chance to reply Cassy cut me off. "You should be happy this is almost over. We all should."

"I guess." I shrugged. This honestly just seems to be too easy. I don't buy it, but if everything can end nicely then so be it.

"Then, I'll finally be able to live my life in piece." Laine sighed as she flopped on her bed.

Scarlett soon joined her. "Yes, and you'll finally be able to help me settle in."

Laine nodded with a smile.

I furrowed my brows at this.

"What're you guys talking about?" Cassy asked before me.

"Scarlett's been thinking about living here permanently. My mom already said she was more than welcome to stay with us." Laine replied.

"Why's that?" I asked.

Scarlett shrugged. "Humans live a much more simple and calm life. Plus, it's not like I have much on my world anyway. I'm more than happy to be Laine's guardian angel. We've grown close over the time we've known eachother."

Laine happily nodded.

Cassy and I both shared a look. Well.... I guess at least...

"Meowwww." After such a deep noise, I felt something soft touching my leg.

We all looked to the source of the noise and saw Whiskers at my feet, begging for attention.

"No." I said and shooed him away with my foot.

"What the hell. This isn't fair. Do you know how long and hard I've tried to get him to like me?" Laine pouted.

I shrugged. "Maybe he's just happy right now."

"Whiskers, come here." Laine patted her bed.

Whiskers looked at her and then back at me, not moving an inch.

"Well, Laine. Your cat has good taste." I tried suppressing my laughter as I pet the cat.