Chapter 6: Rei

As they make their way back to town, the Purger pair learn that Anza has the speed and stamina to keep up with them. Whether it's leaping from branch to branch of trees in the dense woods, or a straight race across the plains, Anza, while racing on all fours, is always by their side. If anything, he even looks like he's enjoying himself.

"We probably need to get you some clothes later," Shu says, leaping off a hill. "Something to hide your tail and ears too..."

"And the fur on your arms and legs," Song adds.

"Is it that big of a deal if the townsfolk see me?" Anza asks.

"Yeah," Shu says. "I don't know what it's like in the Crimson Void, but we only have humans in this world. You're gonna stand out way too much."

It's agreed among the three that they'll travel to Hong Yu, the closest town to Zhu Zhen. After buying clothes for Anza, they'll find an inn for him to stay in for the time being.

"So Anza, what're you gonna do after this?" Shu asks. "Go home?"

He doesn't answer him. Song is sure that he heard him though. He peers over to check on his expression. The boy looks a little gloomy for some reason, his eyes constantly tracing the dirt track ahead of him as he continues running.

"Anza?" Song prompts.

"Don't call me that," the wolf boy says softly. "Please don't call me that."

"Why not?"

"That name... I don't like it," he says. "I mentioned that I came from a royal family, right? From the place you guys called the Crimson Void. Well, truth is, I actually ran away from home."

"And then you got kidnapped by the Mevolians," Shu finishes the story for him. "Where were you hoping to run to anyway? You can't seriously believe that the humans would readily accept you with open arms."

"I don't know," he mutters. "Anywhere is better than home."

"Why do you hate your home so much anyway?" Song asks. "Don't like your family?"

"Yeah..."

The three stop by a massive Ka Guo tree to catch their breaths. Song is the only one who doesn't look tired. He glances up and notices the bright, purple tear-shaped fruits hanging by the branches. With a powerful leap, he soars towards the first branch, grabs hold of it and swings up to the next one above. Like a circus acrobat dancing on platforms, he plucks several of the fruits off the branches through cartwheels and flips before coming back down.

"Thanks," Shu says, taking the first bite of the fruit with a noisy crack.

"Thank you!" the wolf boy says, much more cheerfully than Shu before munching down on his own fruit. "It's sweet!"