Chapter 1

"Amanda! Come back here!" My stepmother yelled at me. I hated her! I really hated that bitch!

"Like I fucking care, you bitch." I cursed.

I went downstairs and grabbed my car keys off the foyer table. I ran out and slammed the double front doors. I went to the garage and got into my Audi TT. I drove off the car out of the house compound and sped off onto the streets.

"I hate you! Why did you marry daddy?" I kept cursing at that woman.

I exceeded the speed limit and would rather be in a car crash. The drivers kept honking their horns and pointing at me. Suddenly I heard a long horn of a car and a bright light getting closer to my car.

"Oh my god!" I suddenly realised that I had driven into the wrong lane. I quickly drove back onto the right lane.

"Thank goodness!" I could hear my heart was pounding so hard and loud. For the first time in my life, I almost got into a car accident and just realized that I wasn't ready for it.

"It's already passed midnight, where should I go now?" I asked under my breath. I went to the city and looked for an available parking space along the shop lots. Thank God, there's an empty parking space and I quickly parked my car.

I turned the ignition button off and pulled my phone out of my right pocket. I opened my recent log lists and kept scrolling until I stopped at one particular contact number.

"Karl Lanchester" I hesitantly dialled Karl's number.

Oh shit! Am I doing the right thing? Why did I call him? I heard the second ringing. Wait! What should I do now? Just hang up the phone? Will it be okay?

Karl answered the phone on the third ring. "Hello?" I had no idea what to say.

"Hello? Amanda, is that you?" He asked over the phone.

"Hell-hello I-I ha-ve no pl-place to go." I was crying when I spoke to him. I didn't know why, but I just felt that I wanted to tell him everything. It was hard for me to control my emotions. It felt like everything had happened at the same time and I couldn't handle those emotions. I really needed to tell somebody about everything that had happened to me today. I was all alone and it felt like nobody cares about me. Nobody asked whether I'm okay or not. Nobody, there was nobody.

Where was everyone when I really need them right now? Yes, maybe you might think that I was selfish for wanting them right here, right now. Honestly, I didn't care whether they were busy or had something else to do right now. I really missed my brother and daddy. I really missed them but I miss mommy the most. She must have been living her life happily in heaven right now.

"Amanda? Amanda Standeford? Are you alright? What happened? Where are you?" Karl asked so many questions at the same time. I didn't answer his questions because I didn't know how to start.

"If you have nowhere to go, my house is always open for you to come whenever you want." He said calmly.

There was a long silence before I answered, "okay."

I hung up the phone and pressed the ignition button again. It took about 30 minutes for me to arrive at his house. When I arrived, he already stood in front of the main door of his mansion. I couldn't resist anymore. I quickly pressed the ignition off and ran towards him. Without thinking twice, I hugged him tightly and cried as much as I needed to.

"Karl"

"Karl"

"Karl" I wanted to tell everything to him, but the only word that went out from my mouth was his name.

"Shush, don't say anything. Just cry as much as you want." He shushed, hugging me tighter without asking anything.

At that time, it felt like I had found the most secure place in the world. I just wanted these warm arms to hold me tight. He hugged back tighter and it was a very long hug. His height was 5'11 compared to me which was 5'5. I could feel his heart beats and the breath that he breathed. It felt like time had stopped moving and the world had stopped spinning. It felt like everything became so beautiful and wonderful without any obstacles. I didn't want to leave this fantasy and sweet dream. I had been waiting for this precious moment for a long time. I felt that there's still someone who loved me and cared about me. That person was the one and only Karl Lanchester.

"Let's go inside. It's really cold outside here." He said as he put his arm on my shoulder.

I nodded and went inside his beautiful mansion. I had been to his mansion once and it was a really beautiful and huge place. I would be so excited to explore the house, but this time the situation was totally different. I didn't have any mood for that.

"You must be tired, come with me and go upstairs. You will sleep in my room tonight." He asked me to follow him.

"Where will you sleep tonight?" I asked him with curiosity on my face.

"Nahh, I'm going to be just fine. There are so many guest rooms in this house. I can sleep anywhere I want." He chuckled and motioned the guest rooms. I really loved that side of him when he was talking nonchalantly.

"But I don't want to sleep alone in this huge bedroom of yours." I shook my head.

"You want me to accompany you?" He asked while turning on the light of his bedroom.

I just nodded without saying anything. "Okay, I sleep on the couch and you sleep on my bed." He said while pointing his finger on the couch.

"Will it be okay for you? We can change, if you want?" I shrugged my shoulders as I lay on the bed uncomfortably. I really felt guilty right now. He was the owner of the room but he chose to sleep on the couch.

"Nahh, it's okay. Now go and sleep. Good night Amanda." He smiled weakly and turned the lights off before he went to sleep.

I closed my eyes but I couldn't sleep. I couldn't stop thinking about the fight. It was an unforgettable fight and I wouldn't simply forget about it. "Hmm Karl, are you already asleep?" I murmured. I hoped that he wasn't yet asleep.

"Almost, why?" He asked full of concern.

"Actually I tried to sleep, but I couldn't." I sighed. "Do you mind if I ask you to play with my hair?" I felt a little bit shy when I asked for his help.

"Play with your hair? Like rolling your hair? Makes your hair become messy? Like that?" He asked.

"Yeah, sort of." I loved it when people played with my dark brown hair because it made me feel sleepy and I will fall asleep within a short time.

He came to the bed where I was laying and played with my hair. When he thought that I already asleep, I felt a soft kiss on my forehead. He whispered in my ear, "good night, have a sweet dream Amanda. I love you". He was just being so sweet to me.