Chapter 2: Long Lost Twins

I leaned forward, trying to block out the conversation that was going on next to me so that I could hear the information that Mr. Miller was giving us. Of course I'm just as interested in finding out about the details of Sophie's murder as my peers are, but I was also in need of passing this upcoming math test. There was a time and place for everything, and sitting in math class during a review for next class' test was not the right time nor place to talk about a murder.

"The weirdest thing is that she was our age," whispered Molly, a petite Asian girl who sat at my table. Her hair was cut short into a neat pixy style that was just long enough to fall into her eyes, a fact that I noticed regularly from how often she swiped at her bangs.

"I know. It's crazy. My mom put our house on a six o'clock curfew until the murderer is caught," replied Brad, a guy whose strength surpassed his intelligence. Luckily for me, since he sat next to me, I had the pleasure of trying to block his prying eyes during any tests. Which is probably why he felt like he was able to chat, instead of paying attention to the review; since he would just try to cheat off of me anyway.

Molly widened her eyes. "Six? My parent's want me home everyday as soon as school is out. My dad even made an agreement with my piano teacher to come to my house for lessons instead of the other way around."

Brad scoffed. "Parents."

Finally answering my prayers, Mr. Miller turned around from scribbling down the definition of Mean Value Theorem on the board, and squinted his eyes at our table. "Ms. Evers and Mr. Thomas, please save any conversations for outside of the classroom. I know you, Mr. Thomas, could benefit from listening to this review." Everyone in the class turned to look at Brad, who hung his head a bit until Mr. Miller turned back to face the front of the room and began talking again.

Despite the subtle dis to his grade, Brad still didn't get the memo to stop talking. Instead, he leaned across the table to Molly and said, "That dead girl, what was her name again?"

"Sophie," Molly supplemented slowly, obviously shocked at how he had referred to Sophie as 'that dead girl'.

I wasn't surprised. Brad lacked a few things; brain cells, and common sense being just two things that he was missing. Apparently empathy was another thing to add to the list.

Brad grunted in response to Molly and nodded. "Yeah, Sophie. She was really hot. I bet that had something to do with her murder."

I shook my head at his idiocy. I couldn't stop the words from coming out of my mouth as I said, "Wow Brad, you should be put on the case. That's some promising m.o. you got there."

"It's not an m.o., it's just a guess," he retorted, obviously unaware that m.o. stood for method of operation and what the killer typically clung to if it was a serial killer. They looked for similarities, the looks, dress, or sometimes a job according to the crime shows I watched with my mom, who had now put a ban on them until the police figured out who killed Sophie.

I was unable to reply, because just as my mouth opened, Molly leaned forward and slapped the table. "You look like Sophie! I didn't realize it until now, but you two look like you could be long lost twins or something!"

Suddenly, thanks to Molly's outburst, the whole class was staring at me. I watched as their eyes widened, then they began to murmur, and then suddenly everyone was talking loudly. I heard my name and Sophie's name coming from all directions.

Standing at the front of the classroom, Mr. Miller sighed heavily, and peered at me from above his wide-rimmed glasses. After a moment of staring in my direction, probably accessing my resemblance to Sophie like everyone else was, he clapped his hands loudly in an attempt to get the class's attention back.