5. Drew

In a few minutes, Cara will be doing a surgery on a VIP. She'll be putting a new femur on our head department's wife who was just broke her leg. I didn't know much about the story. I never asked what happened. All I heard was just the wife broke her heel while walking, she fell and her leg got stuck on a metal drain that broke her femur into half.

That's just what I heard.

But it isn't my problem after all. I've designed a new femur made of lightest metal that could carry a human weight. I don't wanna talk about it. Sometimes I don't like my job because everybody is depending on the things I have made. Over all, if my design fails, then you must know where the blame will go to. It isn't a thing I am always happy about because you know, I carry the blame and the people's hope all by myself.

Cara said the femur is perfect enough that I don't need to overthink. She said it was as real as the human femur. Perfect. That's what she said but I don't believe her much because I know, some part of her only tried to make me feel better.

"I don't say it because I wanna make you feel better", she said to me earlier. "We're talking about someone's life and I'm not gonna lie just to make you feel better." She was right. Maybe I did the perfect job. The femur is perfect.

I shake the thoughts off my mind and go back packing my stuffs. I'm done for today. The paper works are done and I wanna go home. It was such a long day I hope Cara would do her best in surgery.

After I lock the door, I walk straight to the hall. There's no one left in here. Everyone must have gone home before I even knew it. The hall are still bright. The air is colder than before. It is quite. I'm used to it. I always go home almost every night like this so yeah, I don't really mind walking alone.

But my loneliness isn't the friend of mine for tonight. My feet stop walking when I see a familiar figure sitting on the waiting sofa. She's humming a song that I don't recognize what song it is and reading a magazine. I look at the counter. The nurse is sleeping. I look back at the woman, she might not notice I'm here. Shit. What the hell is she doing here?

I try to walk as quiet as I can. I notice Alex isn't wearing any earphones or something. I walk to the counter and I pull out my pen to sign my time out.

"Dr. Drew", the voice I never wish to hear at the moment says my name. "Hi."

I turn around, carve a smile as sweet as I can. "Oh, hey, Alex." I greet her back. I take a deep breath, put my pen back to my pocket and face her. She's still sitting on the sofa with her legs crossed on it. The magazine is now laid on her lap. "What are you doing here?"

"Oh, you know. Waiting for Cara." I walk closer to her. I don't dare to sit along with her because I don't wanna linger here a little more. I'm exhausted. "On your way home?"

I nod. "All by yourself here?"

Alex smiles. God damn her smile is one of those smiles I hardly see on everyone's faces. Her smile is pure, sincere and sweet as if she's one of those angels. I stand there for a little while, mesmerized by it. "Yeah", she says and blinks twice. "Cara told me to go home but you know, I'm still here."

"The surgery's gonna take long, you know." Before I knew it, I sit myself on the sofa right across Alex. What the fuck. "Besides, all alone here? What the hell are you gonna do here anyway? Apart from waiting."

The girl giggles. She runs her fingers through her hair that I could even smell her scent. "I don't know. I've got nothing to do anyway. Maybe I'll just sleep over?"

"You can't sleep here, you know. You do realize that some nurses and doctors are still walking pass this hall at this hour, right? And you're Alex Blackwood. Nobody's gonna lose the chance to look at you for free. If you know what I mean." Alex raises her eyebrow, looking confused. "But never mind. You're Alex Blackwood. You can do anything."