•Chapter Three• Strange Events

S

ilvia

I was shocked to see it was close to eleven-thirty when I woke up, and knowing check-out was at noon, I hurried to gather clothes and toiletries, then took a quick shower. Stepping out of the room just before check out with my things, once more I got that feeling of being watched and it made me shiver involuntarily.

Casually, I look around, while I placed my suitcase in the trunk but didn't see a thing, not a single person in sight, or even a stray pet. I slipped into the driver's seat, anxious to get back on the road and leave the watcher behind. I wasn't scared, just fully creeped out.

After a few miles, I saw a quaint little shop up ahead and decided to stop and get Ashley some sort of gift for inviting me to her home. After some browsing, I found a large figurine of a beautiful black wolf, with its head back and its mouth open, as if it were howling.

Ashley had a collection of wolves and I knew she would be ecstatic when I gave her this figurine. With that thought in mind, I carried the figurine to the counter with a happy smile.

Leaving the shop with a gift box in hand, once more I had the sense of eyes on me. It was annoying as hell but as I slipped into my car I wondered if I were just being paranoid.

It would make sense, considering how frazzled I've been since before I left my apartment. Maybe the whole Sam ordeal had me overthinking every little thing?

Shaking off my paranoia, I drove off and convinced myself it was probably stress-induced paranoia. The crap with Sam, plus my job, had me pretty stressed out.

The drive became pleasant and relaxing once I hit a, somewhat lonely stretch of highway, with fields of overgrown wildflowers on either side.

It was so pretty, I decided to slow so I could enjoy it fully as I drove. Turning off the a/c, I opened the windows and smiled with pure joy at the scenery.

A movement drew my attention to the left side of the road causing me to look. The tall flowers allowed small glimpses of what appeared to be some large animal.

I couldn't get a good look to figure out what exactly it was, so I turned my eyes back to the road with a shrug.

These flowers went on for miles, broken only by the occasional intersection, and in some patches of land, a few broken-down tractors or beat-up vehicles, here and there.

Another thirty minutes later movement to the right had me glancing that way in time to catch a glimpse of the haunch and tail of a large dark animal, as it disappeared into the flowers.

Confused, I began to wonder what type of large animal could have a tail like that of a dog. Unsure of that, I decided to pay it no mind and focused my attention on the road once more.

But the longer I drove down this road, the more glimpses I caught of the large animal, or I should say animals, on either side of the road. It was quite unsettling, to say the least.

Growing worried now, I closed my windows and tried not to look in their direction. It almost gave me the sense I was being stalked which I knew was ridiculous.

Still, I found it odd and unnerving, it's like they were keeping pace with my car. The thought confused me even more but that's the feeling I was getting.

Next, I began to wonder what would happen if I got a flat tire and had to stop. An image of a ferocious animal jumping out to attack me caused me to shiver with fear.

"Stop it!" I muttered to myself. "There is no way those animals are following me." I huffed out a breath while shaking my head to clear those scary images from my mind.