Chapter 31 - The Observatory

"Dangit" Chat mumbled through gritted teeth

"Another room empty?"

"Yeah, I just..." Chat sighed as he shut yet another door, and they continued on "I just don't get it... why has this place changed so much?" 

After a few more empty room checks, Chat sighed again "we're taking too long... by now, the Akuma may have wiped out the entire city" 

his cat ears perked at the sound of a *ding* and he turned to look at his partner "What are you doing?"

"I went ahead and texted Master Fu to tell him we were on our way as soon as we get out of your basement. But I don't understand... what is that supposed to mean?" Ladybug turned her yo-yo/compact/phone around to let him see

MaFu- TEAM MIRACULOUS GO!

Chat grinned at the reference as he passed it back to her "It means, he's sending the Calvary until we get there" 

Ladybug's eyes widened in the small light of her phone "You mean... he's bringing in..."

"Queen Bee, Rena Rouge, and Carapace"

"But they can't cleanse the Akuma!" ladybug held a look of terror for her friends. 

Chat pulled her into his arms, and gently patted her head "Then we need to hurry out of here" Chat took a step back, glad to see that his partner seemed to be more relaxed/focused now.

"You're right" she whispered, then after a bit of thought "Should I call for lucky charm?"

"No, I don't think that's a good idea yet... your transformation would wear off, and I don't know about you, but I don't have any extra sweets on me"

"Oh"

"Yeah" Chat shrugged sheepishly.

---

Chat sighed as they came to a fork in the road. "My Lady-"

"Don't you dare. You had no idea your father changed this place so much... This is not your fault, so don't you dare try to blame this on yourself" 

Chat smiled as he looked back on his love "Actually, I was going to suggest that we turn back, and try to find another way out. Like you said, my father has changed this place so much, in fact, I'm not even sure anymore if this is the hallway I remember... for all I know, this hall could be totally new."

"But we've come so far... we can't just give up now!"

"We're not. We're just going to go back and get out of here as soon as possible... Paris needs us" he gently squeezed her hand, letting her know he was serious... 

Ladybug sighed "You're right Chat. We should probably- eh?" Ladybug's eyes shot open as she felt something small flutter past her ear

"My Lady?"

"Chat... the butterflies!" they both looked up to see multiple butterflies all going in the same direction "If we were to follow them, they might lead us to an exit"

"Because butterflies seek freedom, and they're going the same direction... that's brilliant Princess" he quickly swiped her hand and began tracking the butterflies' migration.

---

It was mere minutes later when they saw the white butterflies slip through a small, open window above a unique looking door. 

Chat's eyes widened as he gasped... he knew this door. 

Cautiously, he reached out and traced over the carved out constellations. Memories of his mother herself, carving out each star, filling his mind...