3 ♜ Family Matters

After being searched and finger printed, Spencer and Charlie were thrown into a freezing cold, empty cell

  After being searched and finger printed, Spencer and Charlie were thrown into a freezing cold, empty cell. Both of them found themselves lost for words, shocked at the events of the past hour. Racial profiling was obviously something they had heard about but for some stupid reason, Spencer actually believed he was exempt from it because of his family's millions. But being in that terrible cell proved that police officers only saw colour. They didn't care about anything else.

"Hey. HEY!" Charlie called to the guarding officer, trying to grab his attention. "Don't we get one call?!"

The officer turned around to him and shrugged. "You will."

"When!? We have the right to an attorney and I want to call her!"

The police officer's blasé and indifferent shrug caused a grimace to appear on Charlie's swollen face. Spencer had resigned to silence. He really had no words. Disappointment and frustration silenced him.

"Bro, you good?" Charlie asked, sitting back down beside him.

Spencer exhaustedly glanced at his brother through droopy, half shut eyes. His expression said enough.

"If anything happened to you, Spence, I don't know what I would have done...."

"We're safe. That's all that matters."

  Spencer's head flopped onto his brother's shoulder and he tried to close his eyes. Maybe if he went to sleep, time would go by faster and he would get through that ordeal much quicker.

"Has it ever happened to you before?" Spencer asked his brother. "I mean have you ever been arrested?"

   Charlie thought for a moment before laughing. "Yeah, actually, I have. Once. I forgot my house keys so I tried hopping the fence. Bad idea. Especially in our neighbourhood."

  Spencer let out a weak laugh and rolled his eyes. "Terrible idea."

  "But I didn't have a gun pointed at me. Then again, the arresting officer was black." Charlie's face became sullen again as he looked out at the opposite wall. "I never felt like I was in danger. I easily explained the situation and the officer patiently allowed me to prove my status. No guns."

"You were very lucky," Spencer sighed. "I really hope we get out of here soon."

   As if on cue, a loud voice boomed across the entire room. Spencer's eyes flew open at the familiar voice and Charlie straightened up.

  "WHERE ARE MY BOYS?!"

  Helena Kingsley marched towards Spencer and Charlie with fury in her eyes. Behind her was the captain of the precinct, an old man with a thick, grey moustache and fear in his blue eyes. In his hands were a set of keys that made Spencer scramble to stand up.