Chapter 12 Dreams pt.4

Ava sat up in bed Thursday morning, feeling she had been lying there falling away from reality too long. Manic energy was surging through her. The worst thought, one she never wanted to succumb to, crept into her head: maybe she should consider institutionalizing herself. Ava hated that idea with every fiber in her body, and it made her ill.

"Eh." Ava shivered. It was time for a run. She had to get herself back on track — she just had to.

She pulled on a pair of jogging pants and a sports bra and went to the kitchen for a drink to bring with her. The sun was bright and clear and judging by the roses hitting the window, the breeze seemed great for a run. Her spirits were beginning to turn more towards hopeful again, but then Shane came in from the other room, and Ava groaned.

"Not right now, Shane."

"Day off today?"

She ignored him and went for the front door before hearing Dahlila and Danny coming in. This isn't happening.

"Ava!" Dahlila exclaimed. "Are you okay? You left in such a hurry —"

Ava slid out the way and started for the door again.

"Ava?" Dahlila called.

"What the hell's your problem?" Danny asked with a look of disgust.

Ava swung around. "Look. Just leave me the fuck alone. Okay?" She looked at every one of them, seeing exactly what she had once feared to ever see in their eyes, to see in anyone's eyes, again. She went out the door, and shut it behind her, leaning her back on it to breathe. Fuck! She felt like how Jack and Rose did, hanging on the back of the Titanic as it sank.

They had come to check on her, and she'd spat on them. Ava had promised herself she wouldn't do this. What was the point if she didn't try harder? She took in a deep long breath, wanting to bang on the door with the back of her fists and head, and let it out slowly, then stepped back into the house.

"Listen... I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be like that... There just have been some things I've been trying to sort through this year. And haven't been very good at it. Actually, I'm not really sure I know what I'm doing, but I'm trying." They didn't say anything. "I — uh — I'm about to go for a run, if you guys wanted to join."

Dahlila smiled softly and nodded. Now that she let herself feel it, Ava's stomach turned knowing she'd hurt her feelings. Dahlila really had been very kind since she arrived, and a little kindness could truly go a long way. Ava acknowledged every ounce of her worth. Though occasionally, Dahlila's head seemed so high up in the air because she wanted everything to go smoothly, she was still more grounded than most as well as very giving; that deserved to be protected and rewarded. Ava was tired of destroying good things, no matter how much she wanted to sometimes.

Danny's face hadn't changed, but he nodded. "If you can keep up."

Ava looked at Shane. "How 'bout you? You think you can keep up?"

"Psssh. Yeah."

***

Sweat poured down Ava's head as she ran down the campus track, fire to forge ahead in every muscle she had and steel determination in her heart. Shane tumbled to a complete stop behind them.

"This isn't right!" he yelled after them, still gasping for air. "I thought you were on my side, Ava!" He dropped to the ground and rolled over with a groan. "I feel used."

Dahlila was still running, fully focused as usual. Ava looked at Danny tauntingly before forcing herself faster. He grumbled, and his steps quickened to keep up with her. He came to her side, giving the look back to her before his legs began getting sloppy. He made one last, desperate attempt to beat her before falling back and nearly tripping over himself.