Chapter 52 Burning Low pt.3

"Pass me the raven feathers."

"Are you sure?" Christian asked hesitantly, emptying the last of his cauldron in the potion jars.

"I'm sure." Ella dusted the herbs from her hands and plucked the petals in front of her. "We're going to need to break a couple rules with this one." She looked out the basement window at the fresh night. "Let's hurry."

He handed her the feathers and put his hand over the globe sitting on his side of the counter before taking a book from the shelves and opening it up, allowing the pages to fall where they would. "Ella... there's just too many doors opening. It doesn't feel right, Sis."

She grabbed a handful of dirt from a bowl in her corner and shook it in his face. "I'm telling you, the earth doesn't feel right if we don't. And it's Ava we're talking about. Do we do nothing?"

"If it's the right thing to do."

Usually the energy flowing in there was light and lofty. They were always cozy in their little burrow under Aunt Annie's. But this time it was all tainted — they'd burned the protection to let him through. With anticipation, Christian rubbed his fingers in the crumbs of dirt that fell next to the bowl of the burning roses and turned around. "We knew you were coming."

Layton stood at the bottom of the stairs, looking murderous. "I need your help."

"That's why we let you through," Christian said smugly, with a deep glower.