Chapter 14 Madness

Ava looked up, and he was gone. There was a loud crack of thunder, and the rain began to come down harder. The heightened smell of fresh dirt, old rotten cement, and decay rounded her, along with the essence of death that lingered there.

Ava ran through the rows of tombstones searching for him but nothing; it couldn't be for nothing. She was out of breath, sweaty, cold, wet, and she was standing in the middle of a graveyard, in the middle of the night, alone. She was out of her mind, truly, and now she wasn't even sure that she had seen him at all.

She went back to shut the library down properly and didn't wait for the rain to abide before starting for home. The twenty-five-minute walk would help snap her out of it. However, she didn't make it home before some loud sound broke out, shattering through the dense air. The noise was so unnerving she could not believe it was only thunder.

She stopped, trying to look into the rain, but the whirlwind of water and fog was too thick to see in. Her eyes strained. The nulling sound of raindrops settled in. The world quieted underneath it. Then the ground shook beneath her feet — and there was a growl.

Another thunderous sound shook to her bones, but she was already running for her life, desperate to put space between her and the thing she could feel gaining on her. It was getting close, and she struggled to go faster. Her legs shook under her the whole way, almost tripping, forgetting its muscles, moving on fear alone. Staying in its max, in a severe state of power so strong her mind couldn't touch on anything but continuing — until the ground shook again, her legs were running over themselves, and she was flipping across the ground.

Ava hurried to get up — body first, mind later — and paused amidst a set of large eyes staring back at her, freezing the entire world and every drop of adrenaline she had. The creature's long snout was inches from her face, gigantic wet nostrils sucking in and out heavy, gnarled breaths. She moved back very slowly, and the wolf pushed closer. She paused again. Its breath fluttered on her face, and her breath stopped.

It then licked her.

She rasped out harsh wet air as it trotted off, flying spit and rain down her chin and leaving her mystified.