Chapter 6: Ms. Conspiracy

Shadé

The two weeks that I had been working for the Royal Household wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I was definitely just having a terrible day during my job orientation because it was almost as if something was telling me I should just leave. I stuck out like a sore thumb in this place. I was one of the youngest maids, Diana had me beat by two years, but it wasn't just that. I was the only American, so I spoke differently and didn't understand half the words these people used. The two other African maids that worked here were a lot older, both relatively in their forties, but I tried to make sure I was in their good graces. But mostly, I just kept to myself like always.

During roll call, Gina gave Hayley and me our first assignment without the help of an experienced maid. We were to serve the King, Queen, and Prince Vincent. In the two weeks of my employment, I've only catered to the King and Queen During breakfast and dinner and they seemed exactly how I always imagined the King and Queen to be. Oh, so regal.

I didn't really get the chance to serve Prince Vincent as much either. I've seen him at breakfast a lot but he would miss dinner a few times, not that it was a bad thing. He was a working member of the Royal Family and from what I was told; he was very busy. Unlike his younger brother, he didn't walk with the same elegant stride, his walk was more of a powerful one, like someone who always had somewhere to be or something to get done.

Hayley and I made our way to the Red Drawing room where King Mathias had mentioned in his request to the Master of Households. I had been pushing the cart, trying my best to be quiet with a loud ass cart like this, while Hayley anxiously knocked on the massive door.

"Come in," the King's voice boomed through the door. Hayley turned back to me and mouthed 'good luck'.

We headed into the room, trying our best to avoid the six pairs of eyes that pierced their gazes into our skulls. I settled the cart in the room's corner, closest to the door as the family members continued their conversation.

"Vincent, July is approaching rather quickly and we still haven't heard of you coming anywhere close to a proposal yet," the Queen complained with her arched brows raised.

"Mother, I've tried getting to know the women I've been with already, and nothing has changed. They only want one thing from me and you know this," the Prince defended himself. Hayley brought them a tray of hot tea, setting the tray onto the table between the Prince and his parents. She distributed a small glass to each of them, along with a respective saucer.

"It's baffling to me that the women you've been with have no intention of being Queen one day. I'm even more surprised that you don't already have a secret bastard hiding somewhere," the King laughed as the Queen giggled along.

"Can you stop with the jokes, father? I'm really not in the mood," the Prince warned him before taking a sip of tea.

"Look, Vince. You're reaping what you sow. All of those years you've spent frolicking about with those wenches have finally caught up to you. Nobody is going to take a prince like you seriously."

"Father, people in my generation are not interested in marriage. I'm still in my twenties, this is when you live your best years, not stress about getting married," his voice got louder. I was heading over to bring the raspberry-filled scones.

"That's not true. They just don't want to marry you," the King threw his head back in laughter.

"I'm fucking done with this conversation," the Prince yelled as he bolted out of the chair, glaring angrily at his father.

The King stopped laughing immediately and stood up too. "Who are you swearing at, son," he questioned rhetorically.

"You, who else? I'm tired of hearing you talk shit not knowing that I've been trying my fucking best to find someone that will fit me and this family!" He was visibly upset and his face was glowing red. Veins were popping out from his neck. He needed to calm down, otherwise, he'll bust a screw in his head.