Chapter 28: All Good Things Must Come to an End

Shadé

This entire week has been a rough process for me, leading up to this day.

Monday, I kept to myself because my mind was consumed with what Friday may bring. I barely saw Vincent until dinner and he didn't spare me a single glance majority of the time. I almost thought he reverted to his asshole ways until he sent me a small smile and a quick wink while no one was watching. Thankfully, that was the extent of him I'd seen for that day.

Tuesday started differently as this time, Vincent was the first person to come down for breakfast. Like yesterday, I nearly expected him to act as he had for the past few weeks, but he greeted and smiled at me and the rest of the maids. I hadn't seen him all day after that either. At some point, I was under the assumption that he was avoiding me.

Wednesday was my day off and for that entire day, I spent one half of it pampering myself in preparation of Friday and the other half contemplating the decision I made. I tried telling myself that I was not a whore or a home wrecker, but even with the hours and hours of silent affirmations that I tried to give myself, I knew what I was and what I was about to do.

And today, Thursday, I stood against the wall of the Queen's Drawing Room staring at the finger of the woman who will have the Prince of Wales to herself. Unlike any other day that I've seen her, she was wearing a large, diamond-encrusted ring on her finger. Her dainty left hand proudly displayed her royal engagement to the Crowned Prince for the world to see.

I wanted to cry. I wanted to scream. But most of all, I wanted to disappear because I knew that I would still fall weak to the same man that placed that ring on her finger. I knew the day he would propose would be close, but why did it have to be this soon? What the hell was I expecting, though? For him to leave his attractive and wealthy fiancée for me? Girl, dreaming was for the weak. I should have known better than to let that stupid ring get under my skin like that.

"When did this happen, Mel," I heard Lady Malona, Lady Melanie's younger sister, inquire as she gestured to the dazzling ring. The other women, including the Queen and the Baroness of Hawthorne, stared at Lady Melanie with keen interest.

"Please tell. I didn't think my son would be so willing to propose so early on, but I think you really have him whipped," Her Majesty quipped appreciatively. She really, really liked Lady Melanie. If I wasn't planning to sleep with her future husband, I would probably like her too. But for now, I felt nothing but contempt for her.

Lady Melanie's entire face went red as she gave the group an embarrassed smile. "You lot are the worst," she laughed bashfully before outstretching her slender hand to display her engagement ring. Even from where I stood near the east side of the room, I could see the ring twinkling brightly. It was blinding and was making my eyes hurt.

"Well, if you all must know. We were walking along the pond of Alexandria Gardens under a breathtaking night sky. We were talking about our future children and how much busier he'll be once he becomes King," she began. The women focused. "I told him 'no matter how busy you are, as your girl, I'll always stay by your side to support you'. And then...," she trailed off and leaned forward, the other women leaning forward too.

"Then," the Baroness egged on.

"Then, he moved in front of me and took my hand in his, kissing them both on his sweet lips as he got on one knee. He told me, 'Mel, you've been the light at the end of the tunnel for me. I wouldn't want to see myself with any other woman besides you. You're the woman of my dreams and you've truly changed me for the better'," Lady Melanie continued to recount Vincent's proposal. The more she spoke, the more I found everything she was saying so hard to believe. Vincent was definitely a sucker for romance, but he's gone two weeks without calling her while he was abroad. I'm not saying he didn't love her, but that's a long time to go without talking to someone you plan on spending the rest of your life with.