Chapter 27: Entrapment

Vincent

If I ever found myself in the position where my future son would ask me what engagement meant, I would tell him to steer clear of it until he finished having his fun as a single man.

Being engaged was like being in that strange position between being a bachelor and being a married man. This was the point in the couple's journey when the bride-to-be becomes obsessive about the wedding plans, she may even feel possessive over her potential husband, accusing him of cheating on her with a woman that she may think he could have an attraction to. And last but not least, her annoying friends. It was never a missed opportunity for the conversation to divert to wedding plans, determining if he's the right guy, or to even feed into the idea that he may be cheating. And that last idea is if they aren't fond of the guy. Truthfully, it was ultimately up to the man if he will fall into either category of being single or married because he will have to make that decision on his own.

Unfortunately, being that I was in the situation I was in, that decision was not up to me. It was Melanie's decision on if she wanted to marry me whereas I'm expected to be on my best behavior when I'm around our families. I had no choice but to accept that I had fallen into the trap of engagement, or as I liked to dub it, entrapment.

"I'm engaged," I announced to the three men before me.

I stared around the room at my colleagues one by one to register their facial expressions. Griffin stared at me quizzically, Rodney wore a brooding expression, and Floyd was smiling in disbelief. Had it not been for Floyd's overly obnoxious laughter, I wasn't sure how long the room would remain silent.

"Vince, it's not April fool's, is it? You must be joking," Floyd blurted before continuing with his fit of laughter.

I shifted in my seat uncomfortably. "I'm actually not," I replied sternly. Floyd laughed even louder, completely disregarding my discomfort. I shouldn't have invited him, the fucking twit. I tried to be cool with him and allow him one last chance to be in the castle, but if he pisses me off, I'm tossing him out the gates with my bare hands.

"So, you really popped the question to Melanie," Griffin finally inquired. This was the sensible question that I was waiting for.

I leaned forward and ran my hands through my neatly groomed hair, tousling the tresses out of place. "Griff, it shouldn't have happened so fast," I groaned as I gripped my hair tighter.

"An accidental proposal? Let me hear it then, you heartless bastard," Floyd said, fully recovered and leaning forward in his seat as if it would help him hear me better.

I sighed as I leaned back into my armchair, recalling yesterday's events.

Flashback

Melanie was an interesting character because although she was clearly attracted to me, she wasn't ready to sleep with me yet. That was not a problem at all for me; some women like to wait, I get it. The problem was that she wanted to lie naked in my bed whenever she'd come over. She'd wrap a slender arm around my chest and a long leg over my hip. The first time, I thought she wanted to have sex, but she adamantly declined, stating that she just wants to nap. Though I wasn't necessarily pressed about having a woman lying naked on top of me, it made me realize even more that I had to get Shadé off of my mind.

I knew this because typically, in this situation, I would be upset that I had a gorgeous woman like Melanie platonically lying in my bed. But that was not the case.

"Mel," I called aloud into the dimly lit room. We'd been laying there for quite some time, but I knew she wasn't asleep just yet.

"Yes, Vinny," she answered lethargically as she snuggled closer into my chest. I could feel her large breast press against my side even more than they already were.