Chapter 21: Feelings Run Deep

Shadé

It's been three months since I started working for the Royal Family. We were finally in August, and today was the Princess Royal's 18th birthday. She would leave for Thailand tomorrow morning but for tonight, the Royal Family wanted to have a ball or party as I liked to call it, to celebrate in her home country. From what Aimee had told me, this ball doubled as a scouting system to find a potential suitor for The Princess Royal. She wasn't too happy about this because we all knew she was primarily looking forward to her trip abroad.

Waterloo Chamber was used as the ballroom for tonight's festivities. We decorated the room with hundreds of pink and gold balloons and floral arrangements. Large, circular tables were placed coordinately throughout the room, each one covered with a white tablecloth that contained the Royal Family's crest in the center. In the center of each table was a gold starburst, surrounded by pink, unlit cylindrical candles. The decorations were actually very breathtaking. I would've killed to have a party this grand for my 18th birthday.

"It looks like a birthday party meant for a ten-year-old girl."

I jumped at the unexpected sound of the Princess Royal's condescending tone. I gave her my undivided attention, noticing how upset she appeared. Now that I think about it, this girl was never happy.

"It doesn't look that bad, Your Royal Highness," I assured as she stepped into the ballroom.

"It's hideous," she groaned in opposition. "My friends are coming here tonight and I'm not trying to embarrass myself. How can I be the Princess of this country and my party looks like this? So childish," she complained, exasperatedly.

"The party looks amazing, Miss. I would be grateful to have a party like this and I'm sure your friends will like it," I smiled politely. It was a little crazy to me to see that even Royal figures like herself felt that she needed to impress her peers when in reality, she needed to think of only herself and what she liked.

"That's because you're a common woman, whereas I am a princess. I'm supposed to have the best things a girl can literally have! And this, this is not it," she replied in frustration as I inhaled sharply at her insulting choice of words. Common women, like myself, have feelings too, Lil Mama.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, Shadé. She's just upset and it has nothing to do with you.

"Birthday Princess, are you there, my dear," I heard Vincent's cheerful voice sing from behind us. He squeezed between us and tossed a muscular arm over his sister's shoulder, leaning over to kiss her temple. He looked over her attire and frowned, while she shot back a glare of her own. "Isn't this your birthday? Why aren't you dressed?" He interrogated his sister.

"I hate this party already and it hasn't even started. I hate the fact that mother was so hell-bent on having it here instead of just allowing me to leave for Thailand tomorrow," she pouted, crossing her arms.

I glanced at Vincent, hoping he'd take his sister out of this sour mood of hers. I just wanted to experience a day where she isn't complaining about the most ridiculous things.

"Listen, Genny, you need to be more appreciative of the things mummy and pops do for you," he said in consolidation as he moved a loose curly strand of hair out of her face.

She looked up at him and frowned even deeper. "Appreciate them for the materialistic things they do for me? Is that what I should do? It's hard for me to do that when I've literally gone my entire life being invisible to them. But I guess you wouldn't understand what that feels like since they're always tending to your every need," she said spitefully.

"What are you talking about," Vincent asked, blinking rapidly as I stared at his sister in bewilderment. She didn't have to come for him like that.