Chapter 36: Eliminated

Theo

"Unfortunately. Mr. Willshire, you received the least votes, which means you're automatically... eliminated."

I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding, my shaky hand gripping the arm of my chair. I forced myself to nod, my heart heavy in my chest.

Shane stood up reluctantly and joined Rhea in the front.

"You've come so far and you've been one of the frontrunners, but your work wasn't enough for you to advance. Thank you, again, Mr. Willshire." Mr. Martinez said with a sad smile.

I nodded again before exiting the room, my eyes filling up with tears. As I was exiting the room, a hand gripped my arm tightly.

I turned to see Shane there, her face inscrutable. "How--" 

"Don't touch me!" I freed my arms from her hand. "You think running for president for me is a joke? This was my only chance to regain back my family's wealth, this is important for me because I don't want to see my family suffer further. AND I BLEW IT." I said, tears spewing out from my eyes.

For once, Shane actually looked pitiful. "I..."

I didn't let her finish, I ran out of there as fast as I could.

...

Maloreign

"Reign!" I heard my name being called from behind.

I turned to see Rhea, a sad look on her face.

"Rhea, what happened? Where's Theo?" I asked.

Rhea bit her lip and rocked her body back and forth. "He... he lost." She said after moments of hesitation.

I was heartbroken, but I didn't have time to be sad. Theo is probably having a harder time right now and I just had to find him. 

"Where is he?" 

"I-I don't know, the moment they were done announcing, he was already gone..." She explained, her brows creasing.

I shot a quick text to Theo asking where he is.

'pls, don't find me, i cant face anyone right now.' 

That was his reply, and I just knew that I had to cheer him up, to make him realize it wasn't his fault.

"Rhea, could you call Hunter and Masha for an emergency meeting?" I asked.

Rhea nodded eagerly before taking out her phone, I also got started to call Athena and Cielo for the meeting.

...

"Yeah, so, I'm pretty sure Theo thinks he's a disappointing piece of garbage. Ever since we were kids, he was always so hard on himself, he gets so guilty about stuff a lot." I explained to them.

Cielo nodded in agreement. "Yeah, once in fourth grade, he wished one of our classmates that bullied him that they lose their money and they actually lost their money, he wasn't eating for like a month."

I laughed a little, easing the tension around us. "He is like that, isn't he?" 

"So, what do we do?" Masha asked.

I sighed and shook my head. "We can just be there for him... We could spoil him with stuff but I think he'd feel more bad if he knew we're spending money on him."

"I'd spend every last bit of my money to see him smile." Hunter said with a determined look.

I gave him a strange look. "Don't give my cousin hope if you don't actually like him." I sternly said.