Chapter 39: Happy Birthday?

Theo

Masha, Mal and I were hanging out and at the same time, planning Masha's birthday party.

"I'm so freaking excited. I haven't thrown a party in... I've actually never thrown a party before! Thank you guys for helping me plan it." Masha said while she tapped away in her computer.

"Of course! Thankfully, they lessened the homeworks now." I said as I sketched the interior design for her party, pushing my glasses further up my nose. "What confuses me is how are you all so rich? Am I the only one poor in our group?"

"You're not! No one's poor and I'm sure you'll be reclaiming your school soon." Masha reassured with a smile.

I shrugged in agreement and continued on drawing. We were in the park after school, just chilling and planning like the queens we were.

Hunter and Cielo came back, holding our designated ice creams. 

"Thank you!" I said as I grabbed my watermelon popsicle from Cielo. Hunter avoided eye contact with me as he stared very... intently... at his ice cream.

"Do you guys need help or what?" Cielo asked as he sat down at the bench across from me. 

I shook my head. "I don't." I said simply, tuning out their voices to focus on the drawing. 

My mind was racing, but one thought stood out. Something really weird happened earlier and I still can't wrap my mind around it.

Earlier...

"Hey, Theo! Glad you could join us!" Masha said with a warm smile as she patted the seat next to her.

"Theo! Y-You're here!" Hunter said with a grin as his eyes lit up.

I smiled as I sat next to Masha. "I am! So, how are we--"

"You look good!" Hunter interrupted me, his goofy grin still not dropping.

I raised an eyebrow then furrowed them in confusion. "Thanks!"

"You should wear your glasses more! You look good! Not that I don't think you look good without glasses but you'd look better... Not that I think you don't look better--"

"I get it, Hunter. Wearing my glasses now." I said as I reached into my pocket and slipping on my glasses over my eyes.

He just stared at me, a small smile on his lips as his eyes twinkled.

I chuckled. "I was gonna ask if I looked good but I think I already know the answer."

He caught himself and blinked a couple times. "Sorry, that must've looked weird." He said before slumping into his seat far from me, farther than I anticipated.

I shot Mal and Masha a confused look to which they shook their head with a shrug.

Back to the present.

So yeah, that happened. It still weirds me out but he was avoiding eye contact more than usual.

Anyway, I pushed all of the thoughts away as I finished my third drawing.

I showed Masha the drawing with a smile. "What do you--"

"Eep!" Hunter shouted in shock as he jumped in his seat, half of his ice cream spilling all over the floor.

The four of us just stared at him, confusion evident on our faces.

He cleared his throat, expertly avoiding my eyes. "Sorry, there was a bird. Y-Yeah, a bird." He excused.