T H I R T Y - T H R E E

If she closed her eyes, she could have nearly swore she was in Dorne at the edge of the river

Victoria breathed in the taste of the salty water, the faint smell of trout just on the cusp of her tastebuds. She could nearly see it, the beautiful ancient castle that sat waiting to protect her, large boarders holding her and her child safe. The sounds of distinct tongues and friendly relatives coming together to rejoice her safe return.

She could nearly see it, had it not been for the shivering cold that went through her body.

A disappointed sigh escaped her lips as she stepped away from the water's edge, her brown eyes glossed over the lingering day. "It's not the same."

"Nothing ever will be, my lady," Sir Trout responds in a low tone as he too seemed to step back in time.

"With the look in your eyes, I can only assume how glorious the castle is," Elaine noted by their side.

"It is, why did I ever leave? If I had known then what I know now, I'd have thrown myself over the cliffs then come back." Victoria's tone was depressed, pretending like this water was the turquoise sea she'd come to only see in her dreams as of late.

"Perhaps we should go back, I can smell the fish from here. Supper will be ready." Elaine changed their topic and gently helped her lady over the rocky terrain and back onto the trail they'd been walking.

The sounds of boots and swords crashing against metal alerted them, and Sir Trout went to place his hand on his sword when they rounded the corner and were met with Lord Karstark and his men.

The old fool attempted a smile, although the hollows on his eyes prevented it entirely. Victoria pretended not to care, this man had lost quite a lot in this war, and the Starks had been less then kind about it. She'd heard his anger from more then one person.

"Lord Karstark, what a delightful surprise." She welcomed him, suddenly feeling Elaine shrink behind her. Her arm reached out, intertwining their forearms to show her support.

"Lady Valiente, I was told you'd gone for a walk, perhaps we could speak. I've quite missed your company." He responded, eyes trained solely on the brunette and not on his daughter.

Victoria was taken aback, his request was quite...odd. They'd had numerous conversations over the past weeks, often at the table surrounding the rest of the lords and at their war meetings. He'd come looking for her purposefully, in the woods much less.

Her instincts told her not to be threatened, and Sir Trout seemed to disagree by the groan that left his lips of disapproval. Still, she smiled and nodded her head, they were in castle sights.

"I'd be delighted to have a companion, Lady Elaine has to prepare my bath for the night." Victoria excuses her handmaid whose grip instantly slips with relief.