Chapter 27

Two years ago...

I wondered why the woman in royal blue dress made a ruckus while speaking to our Head of the Department, Professor Stephanie.

Professor Stephanie was one of the most humble woman I had come across in my life and all she wanted was to help others and see them grow.

She was my favorite professor in our University and I knew that I was in her good books. I was one of the meritorious students of my class.

"My son is not abnormal. He doesn't need to be treated specially. Just treat him like a human being. That is more than enough." she said.

Students and professors, whoever passed in the corridors were glancing them.

The woman's back was facing me so I couldn't get a clear look of her face.

"I didn't mean to say that your son is abnormal. I was just saying that he needs to sit in the first bench because he himself said that he cannot hear properly what is taught in the class." she said in a soft voice.

"Then ask the whole class to maintain some silence." the lady spoke.

I stopped a few feet away from them so that I could hear their conversation.

I swear, if this lady speaks one more word against Professor Stephanie, I will have her thrown out of the University by the security guards. She cannot speak like that with her.

"It's not a school madam, we have several interactive sessions, forums and other web sessions." she said.

"I don't care. My son will sit wherever he likes." she said and left.

I walked back to my class as if I heard nothing.

Later, Professor Stephanie called me to the staff room and mentioned about Joye.

"He has a partial hearing problem Ana. He also writes slow and has a huge difficulty with following up with what we are teaching in the class. He has dyslexia." she said.

"He has dyslexia? That can be difficult for him." I said.

"Not really. We can help him. Why don't you just follow up with him? " she said.

"Give him your notes and maybe he has some doubts for which he might be hesitant to approach me or any other professors. But since you are his classmate he will be more comfortable with you." she said.

My happiness knew no bounds.

She asked me to help him! Also, I would get a new friend.

I went and said this to Jidy.

"I will help you too bro." he said.

Later, we both went to Joye. We observed that he actually didn't have any friend. He was sitting all alone trying to figure out a Statistics problem. He was solving a problem of Probabilty.

"Probability sucks man! It took me a lot of time to solve that problem." Jidy said to Joye.

Okay Jidy you need not lie to help him now!

I smiled to myself.

Joye looked up to us and we both smiled. He smiled back.

"Can you help me?" he asked expectantly.

"Obviously bro. Ana is good at it." Jidy said.

Oh so Jidy very cleverly pushed the burden of doing that problem to me.

We three ended up solving that problem within no time.

"Let's go and have lunch together. Would you like to join us Joye?" I asked.

"Sure." He smiled shyly.

That was the starting of our friendship. Later that semester, Vinn joined our group and we all used to perform well due to our combined studies sessions.

Joye managed to clear all his exams initially. But in the second last semester, he topped the whole class.

We all were surprised by his progress but were happy for him.