Chapter 9 Life at Hogwarts

Thank you so much for reading. Hope you enjoy.

So that was how life at Hogwarts was for Amaris. Every morning she would head down to breakfast with Hermione and then go to the Headmaster's Office for private lessons with Professor Dumbledore. The lessons would last until lunch, which she would spend with Hermione, Harry and Ron, either in the Great Hall or out on the grounds. After lunch, she was to go to the library to revise certain things or find answers to questions Dumbledore had asked her, to give to him the following day. Soon he had her casting spells.

"You do not have an Ollivander's wand." Dumbledore said, "Is that correct?"

Amaris nodded, with a smile, "I think he was quite offended when I went to his shop. That ministry person pushed me in there, Ollivander looked at me for a second and then rushed off to all those shelves behind the counter. He was gone for nearly twenty minutes and came back looking very confused, saying that he didn't have a wand for me and that this had never happened before."

"Ah, the wand chooses the wizard," said Dumbledore.

"Yes, and I had already been chosen by another wand. One that had been made for me." Amaris explained.

"May I see it?" Dumbledore held out his hand. Amaris drew her wand from her right sleeve and passed it to her teacher. "Very unusual, OIlivander has been the best and only supplier of wands in this country for centuries. I'd say you're the only one in this school to not own a wand made by him and his family."

Amaris sighed, yet another thing to set her apart.

Dumbledore inspected the wand closely, "So who did make this wand for you?"

"Darian," Amaris answered, "he was a goblin who I lived with."

The Professor looked at her with surprise and intrigue, "A goblin?"

"They're known for their craftsmanship with metal, not wood, I know but I think he did a good job." Amaris had noticed over her time at Hogwarts that her wand was far less refined: it wasn't quite as smooth or expertly patterned and shaped as everyone else's. But she had never had a problem with its performance.

"Yes, I'd say he did a very good job. This is a powerful wand."

"That's only because you're holding it, sir," Amari explained, "and you're a powerful wizard."

Dumbledore gave her an inquiring look so she continued. "Its core is a feather from an occamy, a creature that is Choranaptyxis. So just like the occamy's ability to grow and shrink in size, we found that the wand can grow and shrink in power depending on who's wielding it." She felt Pachua shift beneath her hair at the mention of his donated scale and resisted a smile. Then she reached out her hand and Dumbledore handed the wand back, looking impressed. "So in my hands, it will be far less powerful than in yours. This means that it will never limit the user's magic but also won't grant them power beyond their ability to control."

The Professor ran a hand through his long white beard, "Fascinating. I would very much like to see it in action. Do you know how to cast the levitation charm?"

Amaris nodded and raised her left hand, moving the wand in a swish and flick motion. "Wingardium Leviosa!"

It took her a few days to remember where everything was but she had soon settled into the routine of the day to day life. Yet she didn't feel like she entirely fit in.

Hermione and her friends were all being very nice to her. She would sit and talk with them at meals, Hermione would help her with her work, and at the weekends they would stay up playing exploding-snap with a large group of Gryffindors well into the night. But still.