Chapter 70

Donghua had left her with Ji Heng, sitting in the corner of the room quietly embroidering and Jia Li, who looked out in the window at the birds playing in the trees. Feng Jiu sat in the bamboo lounge staring at the giant piece of sapphire Donghua had brought. How could it be that she was so useless as to not be able to craft a sword? Feng Jiu thought in dismay.

After her husband, she was the only being in the Universe able to close portals. Feng Jiu's eyes flashed golden for a second as she stared at the chunk of sapphire before dimming. She felt angry at herself; she should have transformed the sapphire into a blade two days ago instead of delaying. Why could she not make it change shape? She had done excellent when she turned the sphere into a flower.

What was it that she had seen then? Feng Jiu thought back and remember how her eye had caught on to tiny, fast moving light inside the stone that looked like they knotted into place. She had simply pulled them undone in her mind, and the sphere had flowered in her hands. The pulse of divine energy in the flower stone was exceptional; it channelled the creation magic in her flawlessly.

Putting her hands together, Feng Jiu performed a few hand seals and summoned the flower shape sapphire in a flash of light. The delicate stone fell into her open palm, pulsing with divine energy. Feng Jiu focused intensely on it, power rising forth from her chest and into her outstretched hands. When the magic reached the stone and was amplified, the crack of electricity filled the room.

This stone was first shaped by Donghua and later refined through her powers, Feng Jiu understood. Just like the stone in the living room, it carried Donghua's magical aura partially as he had touched it, and if she focused on it, her eye caught the tiny, fast moving specks of light that were Donghua's residual aura.

Standing up from the bamboo lounge chair, Feng Jiu placed her hands on the stone. She sensed the residual aura left in the rock by Donghua, and in her mind, she grasped the small threads that were knotted into a lump that stopped the magic from flowing and pulled. The cracking sound of electricity and thunder rolled in the sky, the wind picked up and burst the windows that were shuttered open.

Power exploded from her hands as an intense golden light lit up the room blinding its inhabitants in a sudden flash that dimmed in an instant. Feng Jiu, temporarily blinded, heard the clatter of metal objects on the ground. Covering her face with her hands, she gently rubbed her eyes and opened them to see black spots in her vision as her eyes adjusted.

"Serene Highness," Ji Heng called out, perhaps she had been blinded by the strong as well.

Feng Jiu's ears picked up a sound, and her nose wrinkled as she smelled an acrid smoke scent. Her senses felt that the shields surrounding the residence had failed, and she heard Jia Li hissing before she growled. Feng Jiu's hackles rose, and she was glad that Donghua had insisted on her wearing the bracelets that held her armour. Summoning her powers, she called out her armour as she blinked out the black spots in her vision.

As her eyes adjusted, Feng Jiu caught sight of the red steel at her feet. She had finally managed to turn the sapphire stone into a blade. However, her elation was gone in a puffed of dread realized she was surrounded by the Tiangang shield and... a whole lot of gigantic spiders. Turning her head around, she saw Ji Heng unsheathing a pair of twin swords. A dark mist slipped through a window, and a woman in a grey dress appeared in her living room.

"Li Mei," Feng Jiu said as she laid eyes on the woman who had cut her wrist to extract Miao Lou's blood tear.

"Wench," Li Mei greeted with a malicious smile. "I heard through Miao Lou, who saw the stars, that you are pregnant with a little abomination. So, I decided to drop by and be the first to congratulate you on upending the entire Universe."