epilogue ii.

16 December 2014

It was Saturday mid afternoon, and Harry was sat on the sofa reading while dinner cooked in the oven as he waited for Louis to get home. Louis had gone to Queensferry for the morning for a meeting with the owner of another shop that wanted to start carrying his books, and wasn't due home for another hour.
The afternoon sun was already beginning to set into the darkness of the winter evening and Harry flicked on the lamp beside the couch as the room got too dark to read the words on the page. He grabbed his reading glasses off the coffee table and pushed them up the bridge of his nose before turning the page.
The Christmas tree in the corner of the living room sparkled brighter as the light outside faded; twinkly lights warming the walls and reflecting off the hardwood floors. Harry and Louis had obtained a fair collection of ornaments over the years; some from his mum, some from Gemma and her husband, some from their nephews that they'd made years ago when they were younger. They were both all grown up now. Last year, they'd added a new ornament; a little frame holding the baby photo of Gemma's oldest son's new daughter. Tiny books, a felt goldfinch, a glass rainbow that Anne had got them a few years before, matching silver pens with their names engraved from Graham and Connell, a gold angel that Henry had given them a few years ago before he passed. They cherished the miss-matched ornaments that filled their tree every year, a collection of memories both old and new from the most important people in their lives.

Harry smiled to himself when he faintly heard the front door open.

"Harry--"

Harry frowned at the sound of Louis' voice. He sounded like he'd been crying.

"Harry!"

Harry dropped his book and pushed himself off the couch, moving as fast as he could towards the front of the house.

"Lou-"

Harry was cut off by Louis pulling him into a hug. He hugged him tight and buried his face against Harry's chest.

"Louis?" Harry asked softly, worried, as he ran his fingers through Louis' silvering hair.
"Are you alright?"

"Yeah." Louis pulled back and looked at Harry, a hand over his mouth.
His eyes and cheeks were wet, but Harry could breath again when he saw Louis smiling through it.

"Lou." He brushed his hair off his forehead. "What's happened, love?"

Louis looked at Harry with teary eyes, he laughed softly and cupped Harry's jaw, leaning in to press their lips together.

"Harry--" he sighed, breathless.

"Darling, you're sure you're alright?" Harry whispered before Louis kissed him again.

"I am. I love you. I love you."

"I love you t--"

"Marry me." Louis cut him off softly.

Harry looked at him curiously.

"Harry..."

Realization hit Harry like a train. His own hand came up to cover his mouth, trembling slightly as his eyes filled with tears.

Louis nodded and let out a wet laugh. "It's official. They've made it legal. Went through this morning. Nearly started crying on the train ride home."

"Oh my god." Harry laughed softly and pulled Louis into a crushing hug.
"Oh my Louis. My Lou."

"Marry me, Harry." Louis pulled back from the hug.
He took Harry's hand between his own and kissed his knuckles.
"I've waited so long to marry you. Officially. Harry, I'm as in love with you as I could ever dream to be. You are the best part of my life, the most beautiful part of it. And after thirty one years of knowing you're the one for me, of loving you, and being loved by you. I finally get to ask you... to please be my husband and marry me."