Chapter Twenty Seven

I kept waiting in vain for his calls. Any sign at all that I hadn't impossibly ruined everything between us. And yet all I was met with was more silence. 

On Saturday, I decided to walk around the neighbourhood in an attempt to clear my thoughts. And more importantly, see Ace. Just to know he was okay. I pulled the hoodie low over my head and made my way outside before breakfast. I felt like I had swallowed too much sand to eat anything edible anyway. 

My feet almost subconsciously took me towards his house. So much so that I wasn't even aware that I had reached before I saw a large truck near the road, sorely sticking out on the otherwise empty road. My heart jumped to my throat when I saw a few strang men lifting boxes into the back of the truck. 

I quickened my pace and made my way over to the front porch as the men gave me one curious look before disappearing inside and reappearing with more boxes. I saw the labels on the cardboard marked as 'clothes' and my heart stood still. 

Was he moving? Did he actually hate me so much that he wouldn't even tell me before he did? Why would he punish me this way? 

I stood frozen on the spot, not knowing what to do before I heard footsteps and two familiar voices. Miss Wilde and Allie appeared from the main door a few seconds later and I took a step back.

"Miles, good morning sweetie," Miss Wild said, smiling at me. I gazed at her for a while, my heart conflicted by how much happier she looked. Her cheeks seemed to have regained their colour, her hair sleekly combed and her eyes twinkling. Allie gave me a short wave and beamed. 

"Er...good morning," I spoke. Then, trying to sound as calm I asked, "Are you...moving?"

"Yes," she said, her smile disappearing. "I-I figured Ace would've told you."

My chest felt suddenly empty. "No," I answered, a loud ringing in my ears. 

"Oh," she sighed softly. "Well he...he really doesn't want to. But I-"

"What the fuck is going on?"

It took me a while to register the devastating familiarity of the voice as I turned to see Ace walking towards us. He had his hands shoved into his jacket, his eyes roving over the men now taking more boxes towards the truck before landing on me for a split second. 

I tore my gaze away from him and balled my fists, refusing to breakdown. 

"I thought I told you we are not moving," he said, his voice dripping with mirth and I glanced up to see him glaring at Celia. "We're not."

Celia sighed. "Archer, we have had this conversation multiple times before. I told you this is much better for all of us-"

"No!" he said and I flinched slightly at the sudden rise in his tone. "We are not moving. You can't make me"