Chapter Three

A new record had been set.

It had been a week since Ace's altercation with Burnwood and he hadn't got himself into any more trouble. I hoped that his good act would continue enough so that I wouldn't have to lecture him on morality and tell him what Burnwood had warned me. 

The next week, however, something happened that made my stomach clench with anxiety again. Ace was absent from classes and despite calling him multiple times, I got no response. Of course, it was possible that he was simply sick. But like the ray of sunshine that I am, I assumed the worse and decided to visit him after school. 

Travelling on public transport was usually a nightmare for me. After missing two buses because they looked a wee bit too crowded to me, I finally decided to board the third and reached the bus stand closest to his home a while later. 

I walked towards the main door and rang the doorbell, waiting for his response and anxiously pulling at the straps of my backpack. The door opened after a while and Miss Wilde stood facing me. 

My heart sunk at her haggard appearance and I felt a slight twinge of anger at Ace. Her light blonde hair, something her daughter had inherited, looked uncared for. Her eyes seemed sunken, the dark circles under them more prominent than I remembered and her arms in her white shirt somehow skinnier. 

"Miles!" She said, flashing me a tired smile.

"Miss Wilde," I said, trying to return her smile. "Uh, is Ace in?"

She nodded. "Come in, honey. He's in his room."

She stepped back to let me in and I thanked her in response. She nodded and made her way towards the kitchen, calling behind her. "Stay for dinner, sweetie. I'm making chicken rice today."

"Thanks, Miss Wilde!" I called back as I made my way up the staircase and towards his room, my heart racing in trepidation. I knocked a few times gently against the door but got no response. Slowly, I opened it and peered into the semi dark room. I could see a lump on the bed, curled up cosily. 

Ace. 

My first instinct was to run up to him and just hug him out of relief, but I mastered it. 

I heaved a sigh of relief. Maybe he had just overslept. But he hardly seemed like the kind of guy who would take an off from his work for two days in a row just because he overslept. I tiptoed over to him, wondering if I should just leave. 

I took a deep breath and decided to just talk to him later. If he was finally sleeping, I wasn't going to be the one to wake him up. Just as I turned to go, however, his drowsy, hoarse voice called, "Not even gonna say 'Hi' to me, Spencer?"

"How did you know it was me?" I asked, raising my eyebrows. 

"Your uncoordinated steps. You walk like a drugged penguin," he spoke, his voice muffled and lazy.