Chapter Two

That afternoon after school, I sat in Ace's car, waiting for him. I was angry at his little joke about the suspension, but was there any point in holding on to that anger?

I have known him for fourteen years now. I would soon get used to his humour, hopefully.

I sighed and leaned back, pulling my earphones out of my pocket and spending a good three minutes unwinding them before a loud voice called my name, making me lose my headphone unwinding progress.  

"Spencer!"

My eyes scanned the parking lot to see Burnwood standing a few feet away from the car, his gaze fixed on me. I gulped. What could he want with me? 

I put on a brave face, glancing at myself in the rearview mirror to straighten my jaw before stepping out of the car. He stood right outside, facing me, his long, bulky arms crossed in front of his chest in a way that made his biceps bulge ominously. He seemed to look somehow more enormous than he had indoors. I shoved my hands into my pockets in a feigned attempt at nonchalance. 

"Relax, bud, I don't want any beef with you," he said, narrowing his eyes and studying me intently. 

"I-I know-" I began before he raised a hand to silence me. I sucked in a sharp breath and fell silent before spluttering out,  "Er, look by the way, about the car thing-" I wanted to apologize to him on behalf of Ace. Even though it would probably do nothing. I didn't know what he had said to piss Ace off so much, but I hardly doubted it was enough to result in a keyed car. "I'm sorry. He just...he just tends to go a little overboard at times." 

He sighed and spoke, "Look, I've been a nice guy until now. But his habit of picking fights with me just for the sake of it needs to stop. I'm not trying to get into any trouble and he's too much of a fat head to understand that. So, I request you to kindly stop your boyfriend from fucking around with me."

My ears heated up and I managed to mumble, "H-he's not my boyfriend."

"Whatever," he rolled his eyes and crossed his arms in front of his chest. "I don't give two shits about you guys. But ask him to stay away from me."

He opened his mouth to say something else before he went stock still, his eyes fixed on something behind me. I heard Ace's drawling voice, "What the fuck are you doing here, Burnwood?"

Burnwood's eyes flashed, his jaw ticking before he seemed to take a deep breath and deflate. I knew despite his huge size, he was unlikely to be a threat. But I also knew Ace had a habit to forcibly poke him or anyone whom he deemed worthy of a fight with him. 

"Not interested in your twink, Wilde." He gave me a meaningful look and left without a backward glance. I felt my cheeks heating up and quickly turned on my heel, walking over to his car and slipping inside it in merciful silence. Ace followed after a while.