Chapter Twenty Nine

Cold. 

So cold. 

That was the solitary thought in my chest as I plummeted downwards. The wind ferociously slapping my skin, icicles piercing every inch of my body as terror took hold of all my rationality. 

Terrified of the inky black monster below me with its mouth wide open to engulf my very existence. 

I shut my eyes, unable to scream or react in any other way as I waited inevitably for the impact of the icy water. I couldn't really plan, couldn't really think. If Ace was truly in trouble here, how was I going to find him? There was no way I could see anything in this inky shroud. 

And for the first time in the seventeen years on this earth, I realized I had acted on something without thinking at all. Much like the person I had fallen in love with so unforgivably. 

The impact of the water seemed to shatter my soul, the bone-chilling cold piercing like knives through my skin. Icy shards shattering my chest like bullets through its victim. The cold was terrifying, the darkness suffocating. And yet, the thought of Ace didn't fade even in comparison to the fiendish darkness. I had to find him. I had promised him I would. Always.

I opened my eyes, my throat closing up at the oblivion around me. Shadows and darkness so impenetrable I couldn't imagine any light strong enough to tear it. My breath would soon run out and I tried to keep myself afloat and make my way back up to the surface. Maybe it would be easier to find him. 

But it was too dark. 

The air seemed to be running out much quicker than I expected, my chest fit to burst. My arms and limbs seemed paralyzed by the crippling fear. 

Ace. Where was he?

I couldn't call for him, I couldn't see him. I couldn't find him. 

No way he would leave just like this. No way I wouldn't find him. I just had to look harder. 

My chest gave up on the last remnant of air and I made pathetic attempts to make my way upwards, or what I assumed was upwards, hoping I could break out the surface soon. But the darkness overpowered me. 

My throat closed up and my mouth opened against the salty water in a heaving gasp, my lungs immediately burning in pain from the salinity.  My vision seemed to darken impossibly as the ruthless waves crashed around me. Desperation clawed my insides. If this was a nightmare why wasn't I awake yet?

My thoughts faded into oblivion, my brain suddenly empty of every feeling. My body too exhausted to go on. I strained my eyes against the darkness, my heart breaking into a million pieces as I kept searching for him. 

I seemed to float timelessly for a few moments before I felt something grab me. And even though my haze, even though the brink of annihilation, even in the profound darkness, I recognized his touch. 

Ace of No TradesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara