Chapter Fifteen

In the seventeen years of my life, I had always remained cautious. 

I was never brave or foolish enough to be impulsive. Anything that I did, there would be a lot of thought behind it. I was an overthinker, I was very well aware of the fact. I was horrified by the prospect of making decisions, and anytime that I was forced to make one, I would make a chart, writing the pros and cons and all the auxiliary situations that could arise from making the decision. 

Over the course of the last few weeks, however, I was careless. Or carefree perhaps. It felt liberating. Frighteningly so. 

I spent the majority of my time with Ace. I even resorted to sleeping at his place on nights that we were out for way too long. In all honestly, I kept waiting for my mom to tell me off, however, I was pleasantly surprised when she didn't. Being imparted with freedom also seemed to give me a strange sense of responsibility that I had never previously felt. My parents trusted me enough. Trust that I had earned through years of staying out of trouble and maintaining my average behaviour at basically everything. I wasn't bad, nor good; just enough. 

I kept hoping Ace would kiss me again. Ever since he had, I couldn't get it out of my head. The way his soft lips had felt on mine. The way our hot breaths had morphed together. The way he had touched me, so gently. It made me weak in the knees while my heart revelled in cinders. 

 In all honestly, I felt like he was being a little too reckless. Breaking into places, overeating at times so he would spend a few hours throwing up, drinking, driving too fast sometimes and other times too slow. But I didn't say anything, knowing that all he needed right now was for me to be patient. And after all that he had done for me, he deserved that much.

And behind the mischievous twinkle in his eyes that always meant he was up to no good, I distinguished the glimmer of hope. He was trying to fit in a lifetime of experiences and stories in a short span. A stupid idea. But what was wrong in believing a foolish dream? 

One night, Ace told me he wanted to go on a night-long drive. We had a small maths test the next day in school and under normal circumstances, I wouldn't have agreed. But this time, there was no way I was going to refuse anything to him. 

I hadn't told about Ace's diagnosis to my parents. It wasn't my secret to tell. I told them we were going to study, hence effectively lying to them for what I presumed was the first time. I felg a pang of guilt but slipped out of my house before it truly kicked in. I slid into Ace's car and sighed, massaging my temple as the guilt racked my insides. 

"What's wrong?" he asked without missing a beat as the car started. 

"Nothing just..." I sighed and leaned back, biting my lip. If I told him I was feeling guilty about lying to my parents, or that I had even lied to them in the first place, there was no way he would let me go through with it. "Just a little tired."