F I F T Y - S I X

Hey guys! I hope you all have had a great start to the new year :)

Axel jumps into action when the sound of Cooper flatlining fills the silence. I barely have time to blink before he is leaning over his dying mate, wolf eyes and all. His heavy breathing and elongated canines make it difficult for him to speak, but he manages to scream out orders.

"WE NEED A DOCTOR!" he scream out, panic and true fear radiating off of him. I don't need extra senses to know that his heart has dropped to the pit of his stomach- just like mine.

All of this happens in a matter of seconds, and my measly human-self finally catches up to his panic. Gray has already left my side to run and get a doctor, and I use all of my remaining strength to lift myself from the bulky wheelchair and run to Cooper's side. 

I ignore the bite of pain in my ribs as I rush to him. I'm not sure what I think I can do in a situation like this, but my only thought is to get closer to him- to try to help.

He has to be okay.

Axel keeps shaking Cooper's body, lightly slapping his cheek to wake him up.

He has to be okay.

The doctors come rushing in a moment later, baffled and panicky when they hear the flatline of the monitor.

He has to be okay. 

I'm lightly shoved to the side so the doctors can get a better look at Cooper, but in my weakened state I almost topple over to the side. Gray catches me and draws us back a little further. In the chaos, he doesn't seem as furious as he would be at someone other than him touching me.

With tears in my eyes, I see blurs of action. A doctor is preparing paddles to electrically restart his heart. I just lost Eli- I can't lose Cooper, too.

I remember when we first met- he saw I ran out of ink in my pen and he offered me his. He was so generous, even to a complete stranger that he didn't even realize was his Luna. Even after I found out what he was, I ignored him and he still stayed. Our shopping trips were equally embarrassing, unbearable, and fun.

He has to be okay.

While I go through all of our interactions, thinking about how little time we really had to spend together in the scheme of things, I hear one of the doctors groan and throw the paddles across the room.

Shouldn't they be used to save Cooper's life? What are they doing?

"Do something!" I scream at them, automatically resorting to a voice filled with a commanding power I always seem to forget I possess.

It only takes me a moment to realize why they stopped.

Cooper is laughing. No, not only laughing- he's cracking up, snorting, tossing and turning in amusement. 

"You guys fucking fell for it!" he screeches as he wipes a tear from the corner of his eye. He's the only one laughing. 

The doctors all file out of the room, muttering some choice words for their Beta's mate and his awful pranks. I've never seen one of his pranks in action before, and now that I have I can finally understand why everybody despises them.

I really thought he was dying. 

Axel and Grayson must have been too wound up to listen for Cooper's heartbeat, which is now very clearly beating properly if he's able to cackle so loudly. Now that my teary vision is gone, I notice how Cooper disconnected his heart monitor so that the machine will think he flatlined.