F I F T Y - T W O

I had more time this week, so here's an earlier update than usual :)

Happy reading!

Xx alexia

A lot can happen in the span of a few seconds. For me, it's the amount of time it takes to take in a full breath. For Grayson, it's the amount of time it takes to punch Eli in the face and then beginning choking him. For my mother, it's enough time to scream.

The funny thing is, nobody makes a move to stop Grayson. He grumbles out curses to Eli, but doesn't show any sign of letting him live or die. He just holds his life in his hands as he sends him a vengeful glare.

There's a small part of me whispering what if's- what if Eli didn't know that his coven's plan all along was to take Evie, what if he's just a pawn in the large game of chess that Elina has been playing?

Along with the quiet whisperings of that voice, another louder, more determined voice screamed within me- screamed for Eli to pay for endangering my six-year-old sister, for betraying me and my pack.

I walk up to Eli who is still trying to breathe. I crouch down in front of him and tilt my head to the side.

"Why did you do it?"

"What?" he wheezes, barely able to gain enough breath to respond to me.

"Why did you trick me? I defended you. I trusted you, and you still gave my sister to your coven of monsters," I sneer. "Was it a game to you? To see how much you can break me? You tried to tear me from my mate and that didn't work, so you go after my sister instead?"

"No, Thea," he groans, "I didn't know. Elle tricked me too. She-" 

He coughs as his hands grip the strong hand around his throat. His face turns a shade of purple as he runs out of breath. 

"Gray," I whisper, silently communicating that I want to hear Eli out. I don't trust him, but I want to hear what he has to say. Maybe he'll slip up and say something we can use against the coven.

Gray reluctantly loosens his grip just enough for Eli to be able to breath again. 

"You so much as breath a word of any magic spell," he growls, allowing his claws to press into Eli's jugular, "and I'll end you."

Eli pales. Message received.

I briefly detect my mom in the corner of the room, watching me interact with some magical man she's never met. I can only imagine how scared and confused she is. Thankfully, Cooper seems to be keeping a watchful eye on her.

"Thea, I promise that I didn't know about the plan until it was set into motion. I didn't realize they were going after Evie until she was in our territory."

My mom begins crying at the sound of her daughter's name, but I remain focused on Eli. I want to believe him, but I've been burned too many times to trust him. I can't believe him anymore.

My eyes shift to Grayson who only nods, understanding that I've learned not to trust a warlock. 

"I don't believe you," I say. 

Eli frantically squirms, as if sensing his death. Grayson only tightens his grip on his neck, a single claw puncturing the skin. Eli stills as a drop of blood trails down his pale skin.

"Now here's what's going to happen," Grayson says as he stands up and begins dragging Eli over to Axel who only has a devious grin on his face. 

"My Beta is going to make you talk about everything there is to know about this coven of yours, and then- and only then- will you be given the mercy of death. If you cooperate, that is."