T E N

"Sorry we're so late. I got held up" I say, not willing to throw Cooper under the bus. As much as I'm annoyed with him for making us 20 minutes late to dinner, I know he was just being a good friend.

Grayson gives me a small grin, then adds, "It's okay, I know who's to blame." He looks across the booth, and I follow his eyes to see that he's looking at Cooper with a knowing look.

Cooper throws his hands up. "Okay, it wasn't completely my fault," Cooper defends as he looks between Axel and Grayson. Honestly, with the way he looks right now, it only confirms that it is in fact completely his fault. "Thea was wearing a shit outfit and I rectified the situation. So, you're welcome."

I know Cooper is only joking, but a girl's got to defend herself at some point. "First of all, my outfit wasn't 'shit' as you put it. A bit casual, yes, but that's what happens when someone doesn't tell me where we're going. Second, you showed up late to begin with. So really, like Grayson said, it is all your fault," I retort. I lean back against the bench and cross my arms across my chest and give the darkest glare I can and direct it at Cooper.

Instead of the feared expressions I hoped for, I got three laughs from the guys, which only made me more annoyed. Grayson leaned down to whisper in my ear. "Sorry, but you look like an adorable kitten like that."

I turn to face him and he has one of those smirks that always find their way on his face and a glint in his eyes as he looks at me. "Oh," he says as he turns to Cooper, his face suddenly losing all playfulness. "If you say anything bad about Thea again I will rip your limbs from your body. Just to be clear."

A little chuckle is released from my throat, and when no one else laughs I stare at Cooper's dazed expression. Cooper looks to be slightly sweating, and his adam's apple bobs as he nervously swallows. Axel places a protective arm around Cooper and glares at Grayson. Wow, there's a lot of glaring at this table for just a joke! Grayson wouldn't actually hurt Cooper... right?

Thankfully, the server came over and distracted everyone as he took our orders. Cooper ordered a Shirley Temple while Axel and Grayson ordered Corona's. I just asked for water. Once the waiter left to give us more time to peruse the menu, Grayson spoke to me. "You know, you can get a drink. Whatever you want, price doesn't matter." 

I look at Grayson and give him a small smile. "Thank you. I'm fine with water, though," I say. He's so sweet for thinking that I didn't order a drink because of the price... He was right, too. I open the menu and begin reading the options. It's an American restaurant, so they have options like burgers, pastas, chicken tenders- anything you can imagine. I honestly have no idea how I'm supposed to choose. My eyes dart around the pages- yes, pages- of the menu when I see movement in front of me. Cooper is holding up his menu so that I can only see his eyes, and he is widening them and motioning over to Grayson.

With my eyes, I raise my eyebrow and give him the 'what?' expression. Cooper continues to look at Grayson, then to me. I still don't get what he's trying to say, and after 30 seconds of him doing strange eye movements, Axel swoops in to save the day and mouths 'talk to him' while looking at Grayson. It's now my turn to widen my eyes. I look to Grayson who is obliviously still checking over the menu. My heart flutters and my palms begin to sweat.

I know Cooper is playing Cupid, and for some reason I really appreciate his help. I know me and Grayson won't ever be in a relationship, though. He's too handsome, confident, and rich to slum it with someone who lives in a family that lives paycheck to paycheck. I'm average in looks and personality. However, Grayson makes me feel something that I have never felt before. I feel like a nervous mess, but I strangely trust him and want to get to know him- the real him, not the arrogant growly guy he shows the world.