T W E N T Y

How should a person react when their friend, who they've made out with a couple of times and who they have a huge crush on, literally changes from a wolf to a human right in front of their eyes?

Because I have no flipping idea what to do. I want to run as far and as fast as I can. I want to cry for hours on end. I want to scream at the man standing before me. And, those are all great options, but I decide to sit on the dirty ground of the alleyway and stare at Grayson in shock. Just moments ago, he was this enormous black wolf, and now he's the Grayson I've grown to care for. But is he really that Grayson? That Grayson was human. This Grayson is a monster.

I'm not crying anymore, but I'm shaking uncontrollably from a combination of the cold and shock. I visibly flinch and press my back as far as I can against the wall when another wolf, this one brown and half a head shorter than wolf-Grayson, trots into the alleyway and hands a piece of fabric to Grayson. Grayson takes the black fabric from the wolf's mouth and says something to it in a low voice as he puts on the shorts. 

That's when I realize that Grayson has been naked ever since he changed back to his human form. I'm way too traumatized right now for his nakedness to freak me out. Grayson relays some information to the wolf in a low voice, glancing over to my shaking form every few seconds, as if making sure I'm still here. Like I have anywhere to run to- he's blocking the alleyway and my legs feel more like noodles at this point. I probably couldn't run if I tried.

The brown wolf makes a low grumbling sound from it's chest, which brings out a whimper from my throat. I back up even more, scraping my arms against the brick wall as I slide further back into the shadows. Grayson's head darts in my direction at my pathetic whine, his eyes as dark as a predator's. A single tear trails down my face. How is this happening?

"Go," Grayson says in a voice that is probably at a normal volume, but in my panicked state it sounds more like he's screaming. The wolf makes a sound equivalent to a human scoff and darts away from the alley and towards the forest a few blocks away.

Grayson slowly approaches me, using slow and careful movements so as not to scare me- at least, that's what I assume he's doing. However, I'm already scared of him and nothing is going to change that. He's a monster! A creature with sharp teeth, claws, and a powerful body that can kill me in an instant. What does he expect me to do? Run into his arms?

"Baby, are you okay? Did he hurt you?" His low voice does nothing to soothe me. In fact, his voice and his proximity causes my breathing to pick up, almost pushing me into a panic attack. He instantly sees my distress and reaches out for me, but stops before making contact with my skin. He retracts his hand slowly, almost like it's painful for him. 

"Breathe, baby. Take a deep breath. You're okay. You're safe." He continues to whisper things of this nature, and I slowly calm down. When my breathing is at an acceptable rate, I raise my eyes to look at a concerned Grayson. 

"W-w-what's h-happening. I-I don't... You're a... Oh my god!" My hands immediately cover my mouth as a gut-wrenching sob is released. 

Grayson reaches out for my arm, but I back away from him again. Using a stern tone, I scream at him. "Stop! Don't you fucking come near me!"

I never curse, which probably explains the look of shock and sorrow on Grayson's face when I do. He brings up his hands in surrender and backs up to the other side of the alley, as far away from me as he can get. 

"Thea, I'm so sorry you had to find out this way, and I promise I will explain everything to you in time. But, please let me look at your injuries. I need to know that you're okay first."