02

The carriage they rode in was swept into motion, pulling along to the Commodore's ceremony. The young women broke out into conversation the moment the wheels began turning. It was no surprise how fast they could start a conversation. Sisters is how most people described Catherine and Elizabeth. But for the most part, everyone always identified the two as being the best of friends. The two shared everything.

Well almost everything. =

It tore Catherine apart inside that she wasn't able to share the secrets she knew about today. Even the secrets she kept about Will, and his feelings for her cousin tended to bother her. Today was entirely different. This was Elizabeth's future. It angered her that she couldn't tell her or even stop it. The last person she wanted her beloved cousin to marry was her enemy.

But for now, all she could do was talk with her cousin, hoping to ease the sour feeling her stomach.

Catherine lounged back into the carriage cushions in an unladylike manner, staring out the window. "I can't believe I'm being forced to go to this. Norrington is going to have his day ruin if he sees me." She spoke in a matter-of-fact tone. Then she sat up, looking at her cousin. "Well maybe I should be sure he sees me." A statistic smile grew on her pink lips.

Giggles came from a posed sitting Elizabeth. "And this is why I need you there with me today. Who else would I have to entertain me so?" She asked, quirking her head towards her cousin.

Picking at her nails, Catherine replied, mockingly: "the Commodore."

After one more bit of laughter came from Elizabeth, silence fell in the small travel space. Catherine had, in fact, begun studying her nails, not even noticing the look she was receiving. When she finally noticed the silence, she looked up, meeting a stare that was one of the look of a curious, yet cheeky relative.

The kind Catherine hated that came from Elizabeth every now and then.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" The sentence came out more of a demand than a question. The look on her cousin's face grew. "Stop that." Catherine straightened her back, looking at her with narrow eyes. "Why are you--for the love of god, what is the purpose for that look this time?" Catherine whined, already knowing where this was going but who was the question that remained.

Elizabeth let herself loosen up, slumping her shoulders in a relaxed manner. "Oh nothing."

The hazel eyes grew narrower. "The Commodore's purpose and morals are nothing, your look right now isn't."

Another laugh. "I just wanted to ask," Elizabeth met her cousin's eyes again, choosing her words very carefully. "What do you think about that officer, Theodore Groves?"

That name took Catherine by entirely by surprise.

The very man served as a Royal Navy officer under the command of Commodore Norrington. For the most part, any chance she saw him, he was always with the Commodore. Catherine liked to think of him as a right hand man. Other than the distaste in his choice of allies, she had no problem with him. He was the only man who seemed interested in Catherine, every bit of her. Until this moment, Catherine didn't think much of him. He was kind and respectful. A bit on the daft side but she knew he meant well. Every time she ran into him that he always made sure to say hello to her, ask her how she was doing. She only ever thought of him as a kind man.

Until her cousin brought him up.

Her suspicion grew and so did her nerves. "Theodore Groves?" Elizabeth nodded. "He is a kind man." She quirked her head to look straight at the young woman before her. "I don't tend to think much about men in this town, cousin. At least none that are real anyway." She rub the book strapped to her thigh under her dress. "Why the peak in interest?"