28

The sound of the loud bell coming from the deck caused Catherine to wake up. Groggily, she opened her eyes, peeling her tight eyelids dried with tears open. Men's voices and thumping of wood prompted her to realize they had docked in Port Royal. The trip had been so fast back, she hadn't realize how long she had stayed in the room since they left the Isla de Muerta. Most of the time she had spent crying, mourning the lost of her love for Jack. Elizabeth stayed by her side mostly, listening and comforting her cousin. When Catherine tried to ask her about Will, Elizabeth pushed the thought away, only wanting to focus on Catherine. It was nice to be able to talk about everything, but it was a cruel reminder that it was all in the past, and it was all over.

Lifting her head, she looked around the room for her cousin, but Elizabeth was nowhere to be found. She sighed sitting up, her body slouched over like a dying flower. Pain was everywhere within her. Heart, head, back, Catherine ached all over.

She pulled herself out of the small cot, hesitating before coming to her feet. The noises from outside continued to muffle in the room as she gathered her belongings.

Sword in sheath, boots on feet, and hair in up.

Catherine dropped her hands from the lose ponytail, gazing into the mirror. Dark circles kisses her face, scaring just under the broken gaze in her eyes. Heart-broken was never a look she had ever worn, and she hated it.

She was going to lose Jack; she already lost him. The only man Catherine had ever loved, and probably ever going to love, was going to be hung. It shredded everything with inside her. She had no idea why her heart decided him, a man of criminalistics behavior. Why him? Why love someone she can't have? The questions screamed, raged in her head so often it had become a tic in her mind.

Why love someone who fits her so perfectly, only to have them ripped away from your arms in the end.

She hated the Commodore, hated him even more than she had before. The hatred was purely personal now, and she was going to let it be known for the rest of her life. The man she hated was going to marry one of her family, someone she loved like a sister. Why is the world so cruel? What did she do to deserve such things?

Catherine's eyes welled up in frustrated tears. Shoulders shook as she cried quietly, screwing her eyes shut, causing the hot tears to race down her cheeks. Her mind raced through numerous thoughts as she cried. A faint memory began to echo through her throbbing head, one of her and Jack on the first day they met. It caused her to open her eyes, replying the memory as she looked into the mirror, thinking if she looked hard enough she could see it play right before her.

Do I challenge your mind?

You challenge my patience.

An amused smile began to bloom on her lips, small bits of laughter following it. Tears welled up in her eyes at the memory, but she still laughed. "He really did," She sniffled through her laugh. Even through memories, he could comfort her, make her smile.

God only knows what he could do if she could have him for real.

A small knock on the door made her jump. Wiping her tears, she sniffled and turned around. Elizabeth opened the door, peeking her head in. "Ready to go?" She studied her cousin's face, noticing the small details about her. Sympathy washed over her features and Catherine didn't want to receive that look anymore.

"Do you really want me to answer that?" Catherine questioned softly, a bitter tone faint in her voice.

Giving a strained smile, Elizabeth nodded, understanding. "Don't take too long. I told father I'm going to stay with you tonight." This made a brow on Catherine's face arch. She always did love when her cousin slept over, but why tonight? All she wanted to do was to grieve in peace. Maybe a distraction is something she could use tonight.