29

The carriage ride back to Catherine's home was filled with silence. Neither Catherine, Elizabeth, or her uncle spoke, only listening to the sounds of the rumble of the carriage. She knew her cousin would never dare speak of what had happened in front of her father. Governor Swann had no knowledge of the events that had taken place before they departed from the ship.

It was a blessing, in Catherine's mind, that he uncle had no sort of thoughts of what happened between her and Jack. She knew her uncle loved her, but he did not tolerate, or particularly, liked pirates, especially the man who threatened his daughter. Even he would never try to have Jack pardon from his crimes.

So Catherine laid back, resting her head against the window, watching the familiar scenery pass her by. Crimes, Jack Sparrow was a criminal who she was in love with. It irritated her beyond belief. A small part of her leaped at the idea of being wrapped up in a forbidden love, like the heroines she spent so many years reading about. What the books never say was how devastating it was when it happened in real life. She burned for her moon, burned for his love and touch, for the life he could have given her no matter what it would be. Questions swirled around, wondering if her parents would say anything of this, if they would love her or disown her for her heart's desires. There was no denying her father wouldn't find it exciting to hear, but would they still love her, want what would make her happy?

Whatever the answer was, it didn't matter anymore. Jack Sparrow would hang at the gallows with her heart in the noose right beside him.

To dwell on such longings was a crime of itself.

And she didn't want to deal with it anymore.

~

The carriage came to a slow stop just before the steps that lead to Catherine's home.

Home.

She didn't realize how much she missed it, the sight and its contents. Giving a small glance at her uncle, a tired smile grew. "Thank you for bringing me home, uncle," Catherine said. She reached across the carriage giving him a big hug.

"You are quite welcome, my dear. I'm sure your parents will be just as joyed as I upon your safe return." He smiled, letting go of her. Catherine pulled away, stepping out of the open carriage door. The muffle noise of her cousin giving her father a goodbye filled her ears as she stared at her house.

Elizabeth stepped down beside her, both young women sharing a glance. They walked up the steps towards the opening front door. Catherine's father instantly appeared, his arms above his head along with his cane. A bright, beaming smile was on his face as she rushed outside. "My darling Catherine! My great explorer! We are so happy to have you back home." Her father crashed into her halfway on the steps, holding her tightly in his arms.

Catherine laughed softly as her father repeatedly kissed the top of her head. "Hi father, I missed you," She snuggled into his chest, holding her father tightly.

"And I missed you too!" He pat her back, turning his attention. "And my sweet niece! You have returned home same and sound!" Letting go of his daughter, George Bailey turned to Elizabeth, pulling the young women into a hug. "Now tell me, what was it like being captured by pirates? Oh! This will be quite the story filled evening!" He let go, beckoning them to follow him inside.

They both laughed softly, adoring the man as the followed him inside. A content sigh came from Catherine was she stepped inside her home, taking in all its beautiful features.

As well as her father shouting to her mother to "hurry quick!"

She giggled at her father, forgetting how much she truly missed him and his sweet notions. He truly was the greatest man she ever knew.